vacuum disconnect D30 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 09:29 AM
sas87yj

vacuum disconnect D30

so the way i see it- if i install an LSD in the 30 when i do the gear swap, the front driveshaft will spin even when in 2WD? i'm sure tons of guys have an LSD or even a locker in the 30 without locking hubs? any problems? i can't afford an ARB or OX right now but need 4.10 gears. i will have to replace the 30 carrier as the break is 3.73-up. i don't want the front shaft to be spinning in 2WD.

"The YJ Dana 30 uses an axle disconnect system that is prone to failure. Often the vacuum hoses the activate the disconnect system will fall off or tear. Sometimes the vacuum motor won't have enough power to engage the sleeve when the gear lube in the disconnect housing gets gummed up. Another problem is that since only one axle is ever disconnected, an automatic locker or limited slip differential can cause problems with the axle and with handling. The drivers side axle is always spinning the differential."

any input welcomed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 11:03 AM
Official Historian

Re: vacuum disconnect D30

I've driven around with my front hubs locked with a lockright in the front and never noticed it. The TJ's don't have hubs either. It's not really that much drag to worry about. It might cost you 1/4 mpg.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 02:50 PM

Come on Steve, don't you think it's time for the 44's with all the wheelin you've been doing? Break out the wallet and let the moths fly.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 05:42 PM
sas87yj

i'm not worried about the 1/4 mpg at all. $hit, i dump bucks for gas 24-7. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
my concern is the front shaft spinning at 60-70 mph. at least that is what i think would happen if i install an LSD right? i mean, the shaft doesn't turn in 2WD drive now does it? and if i'm right, then would the chain in transcase be spinning too? i guess i need a lesson in the mechanics of what will be goin on with an LSD in the front of a stock vacuum YJ.

yeah dave, break out the $$ is right from what i have heard and seen- the D30 is plenty strong for me right now BUT the 35 is a different story. i've seen a few 35's snap but not a 30 yet.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 05:53 PM

I did say 44'SSSSS right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
You're out west in the rocks. You could really use them. Besides you don't want to take the title of cheap a$$ of the bbs from me do you?[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 06:05 PM
sas87yj

no, i'm not a cheap-a$$, just a dumb-a$$ dave! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
i'm dumping $ into [censored] i'm going to throw away eventually like most others out there. what i want and what i get are 2 different things. i seem to have found my niche in wheelin and think the 30 will be fine for me. if i need to install hubs then so be it. the 35 will probably get 30 spline axles and an OX. then i will up to 35" tires.and of course some fender trimming.

[censored]????????
[censored],[censored],damn,[censored].......
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 09:10 PM
tdog90yj

SAS,
The driveshaft shouldnt start spinning until you put it in 4 high. I think a killer set up would be the 4X posi cable disconnect and the LSD, then you have 2WD LOW and an LSD.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 10:08 PM

there are alot of posts on POR about lincoln locking ( welding it up) the D30 and using a toggle siwtch to use the standard disconect so you can turn.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 12:19 AM

Would it really matter if the front shaft were spinning?
Ofcourse I don't know as much as you guys, but isn't that what happens with all full time t-cases?
My front shaft spins when I am going 70(which has probably only happened once!)
I'd think that it shouldn't spin unless you have it in 4wd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode