Need your input in my drivetrain upgrade plans... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Need your input in my drivetrain upgrade plans...

The goal is to get better crawl than the 42 I have now. I'm also keeping the 4.0 for the next few years. (fingers crossed)

The easy option is to get a Tera 4:1 for the NP231 and call it done. This would give me 62. I can always install 4.88 gears to get 74 and this would be the most I could get out of this setup. Tera ~$900 and I do the work myself, later gears ~$600 with me installing the front ones. Total: $1500 (gulp) and 74 crawl.

The other option I've been thinking is to get an NP435 and a D20 (~$500), the adapters and clutch parts (~$1300) and new driveshafts (~$350). Total: ~$2100 for a 67 crawl and twin stick. Later I can add the 3.15:1 kit if needed for $600 and a 86 crawl. Total: $2700. (gulp and choke)

Now, theoretically I can resell some stuff for how much: good AX-15?, good NP231 w/HD SYE and 2low ?, new TW CV shaft?. Maybe $1000 top?

Also, I don't know exaclty what I'm looking at as far as the installation of this setup since there are used parts involved. I'd need new clutch ext. slave setup and cross member fabbed, maybe tranny or tcase rebuild before install.

On top of all this right now I only wheel maybe 4-5 times a year but I move up in grades every time. And I have to drive to the trails. I'm planning to get a tow rig and trailer in the next few years so I can drive to more events in comfort plus I'm hardly legal any more.
I'm kind of leaning towards going the easy route as long as that setup would hold up for the next few years. I'm running 36" TSLs, 8.8 rear, D30 front and I'm easy on the pedal. Sorry for the long post, just ignore it if it bothers you. I'm just thinking out loud here. Appriciate your opinons though. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need your input in my drivetrain upgrade plans...

With your current setup, here's what I'd do right now. Dump the D30, get a 44, and go with 4.88s. You're gonna break that 30 with 36s and good gearing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 03:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I have never been in your situation but Given what I have heard I would go with the 4:1 kit and call it good. I curently have a T5, dana 300, 3.54 axle compo. giving me a 37:1 final drive. THis is okay but not great for my purposes. The difference between 42 and 62 will be amazing. lower would be better in some cases but given the large additional costs 62 should do okay. If you wished to go lower then that I would go with a SM420 with 7:1 first gear. going to 4.88 in stock axles or even in D44's is asking for major brakage.

bandhmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

always go with the beef. that way you can upgrade later and not have to swap. I try to do all the swapping first.. then the upgrades. d-44's are too easy to put into a yj to even be afraid of it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 03:33 PM

I say go for the 44 too. It will pay for itself. As far as the other pcs. go I would do the 4 to1 and gears myself. The 231 seems to do pretty well for most and then you would have a pretty fair crawl ratio. Just remember what you do with it. If you're going to wheel like most of us do it will be great. If you plan on wheelin with H8 then you might want to rethink the whole big picture. Actually a 70 to 1 on the east side of the US is a pretty darn low crawl for 99% of the people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode