Clutch / transmisson problem driving me nuts. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Clutch / transmisson problem driving me nuts.

Alright, the basic info first.
90 Wrangler (YJ)
258ci 6 cyl w the 5spd manual tranny (AX-15 I believe)

Has had the following parts replaced in an attempt to fix the problem:
Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, rear main seal, throwout bearing, clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder.
(Total is up around $1000 for parts/labor)

The problem is that whenever the vehicle gets hot, after say 45 minutes of city driving, it is *really* hard to put in gear.

When I come to a complete stop, like at a stop light and take my foot off the clutch pedal with the tranny in neutral, it is nearly impossible to get the vehicle back into gear. It acts almost as if the clutch isn't engaging.
I doubt it's the transmission itself, else it would have this problem all the time, not just after the engine/tranny get hot.
There are no problems moving from gear to gear, it's only when taking it from neutral to another gear when at a complete stop, otherwise everything works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 11:10 PM

Re: Clutch / transmisson problem driving me nuts.

sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging. I had similar symptoms but I flushed my clutch fluid and bled it. that fixed it.

I got 2 tests for you. once its hot and having problems.

1. press the clutch in. hold it in for a minute then try first gear. This would indicate the transmission needs time to slow down once disengaged. this would indicate low fluid in the Trans.

2. Try to put it in 2nd gear before putting it into first (keep the clutch in). second gear is synchronized.

3. turn it off and try to start the jeep in 1st gear with the clutch depressed. if the jeep moves forward the clutch is not disengaging.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] also make sure that the hydraulic line doesn't run close to the exhaust.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 06:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doesn't the clutch system require DOT-4 brake fluid because DOT-3 will do funky things when hot. And in the YJ's, the line runs down next to the exhaust?? That was what I came across anyway when asking why I had to use DOT-4. Perhaps this could be part of the problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 10:21 AM

i had a similar problem with my ax5 behind a 4banger, except mine did it all the time. i bled it a cou[ple times, no go. after many moons of scratching my head, i remembered that my slave cylinder push rod had a little plastic cap on it that would give another half inch of throw. i had forgot to put it back on, and ultimately couldnt find it. i ordered another one at the dealer.. $6.. took care of my problem. i am not sure whether or not yours has that or not, being a different tranny and engine.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also had the same problem.

#1 I bled the system abotu 4 times then refilled, problem went away for 4 weeks then started up again.

#2 replaced master cylinder, and re-bled the system, problem gone for 1 year then started up again.

#3 re-bled system again 4 times, problem still their. replaced slave cylinder and clutchkit. Problem gone sofar for 3 months.

#4 cross fingers I dont have todo this over gain.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I am currently using DOT-3 fluid in it, and I think just for fun I may try DOT-4 in the clutch system.

As for the 2 tests suggested:
1. It doesn't matter how long I hold the clutch in, it won't go into gear once it's in neutral. I know the tranny fluid is full because I filled it woth 90w gear oil 4 days ago. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2. I can't put it into 2nd, or any other gear for that matter.

3. With the engine off, clutch pedal to the floor and the tranny in 1st it will not lurch forward when started.

Te clutch line does run close to the exhaust system, not right next to it or anything but maybe within 5 inches or so.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 01:13 PM
Official Historian

I thought the AX-15 was supposed to use ATF. That might be the problem. Did it work before you put in the 90w?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

To the best of my knowledge, the AX-15 does not use ATF. I put 90w in mine and it seems fine.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

As I said in the OP, I *think* it's the AX-15, but I'm not 100% positive.
It's a manual transmission so it requires a thicker oil rather than the automatic tranny fluid.
It did work before I changed the fluid, though when I drained the old stuff it was pretty black.

I did literally just finish flushing the clutch system and I put in some Valvoline synthetic DOT-4 brake fluid and bled the sucker 3 times. Hopefully it should fix it.
I'm really not looking forward to $2200 for a tranny (that's the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 01:37 PM

im thinking the ax15 uses ATF. i can check when i get home tonite. the fact that it worked before you changed the fluid seems like a clue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode