more power for 4cyl - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 06:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

more power for 4cyl

how can i get more power out of my 4cyl in my 88 wrangler??
i am not looking for a street rod, just a few more ponnies.
thanks
jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: more power for 4cyl

Do you have the plastic airbox? If so I can give you an easy mod for more high end hp and probably better mileage. A performance cat will help as will performance exhaust. A K&N was worth it in my opinion. That's all that comes to mind so far. I run 33" tires with my 2.5L, a 5 speed, and 4.10 gears and it works pretty well. I still would like a little more but the only thing I have found is a super charger for $2000. Hope this helps,
Nick

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would go with the simple stuff first,I am a beleiver in synthetic lubes for everything,good quality wires and real good spark plugs, with a K&N filter this stuff all adds up and it is great for improving component life expectancy. a header and exhaust upgrade are helpful highway mods also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What did the exhaust upgrade cost you?
Thanks,
Gary

95 YJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 12:42 AM
BigMan

Have you ever heard the phrase " trying to get blood from a stone" The best thing you could do is buy your 4cyl a v-8 or even a 6. I don't mean to sound condescending but with all the mod in the world you wont get but a few more ponies from it. Aperformane cat would be a waist, the stock cat will flow a 4 cyl. A turbo will sigificantly reduce your engins life, and costs more than a motor swap would.

Al
My web page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 07:54 AM

after installing a less restrictive muffler i would save my money, (keeping it stock and dependable) and put my time/money elsewhere in your jeep, or save it for a new eng/trans combo.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ<font color=red>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'89YJ,4.3/th350/np231/Dana44/60</font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if the 4-cyl is in good working order and you want to upgrade it, get yourself a clifford inline performance catalogue. they're the source for all things inline.
dumping the stock carb for a weber and adding a header would be the first places to start. you may spend several hundred dollars but at least you won't be dealing with full-on engine-swap headaches. and these things can be added at a pace determined by your cash flow.

that which doesn't kill me makes me stronger
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 11:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Buck convention ..... stick with the 4 banger. Go radical if you want more ponies. For any type of off roading that you'll more than likely do (and for that matter most anyone ever does ...... with perhaps the exception of high speed mud bogging) ..... it's all the motor you'll ever need. With the right gears a 4 can do it all. Awwww never mind ...... you'll eventually realize that you're in the "bigger is always better" club and will find little support for a 4 banger platform.

GeeAea

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check out www.turbocity.com
I bought there rock-it air tube and then went and had a speed shop set me up with a bigger K&N then they sold. The fit and finish are ok, not great,but not bad. The increase in performance in nice though. I also added a 40 series flowmaster and a 2 1/2 custom bent stainless steel tailpipe. Its kind of loud, but hey its a Jeep. Just to give you an idea of cost I spent $90(including shipping) on the air tube, $40 on the K&N and, a total 0f $150 on the cat back(installed). So for under $300 I have boosted the power enough to cruise at 70 mph and have plenty of pick up with 32" BFG AT's. I think it was worth it, and the gas mileage did increase a little. I want to upgrade to either a Jeep 4.0 H.O or a Chevy 4.3l V-6, but for now I am glad I upgraded what I did.
Kirk 95 YJ rio grande

Kirk
95 YJ rio grande
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 07:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ignore the V8 and 6 cylinder crowd. If you want a I6 buy a JEEP with one. If you want a money pit install a V8. Then you'll need a new tranny, t-case, axles, driveshafts, adapters and on and on. Your gas milleage will suck and new problems will be common. A supercharger is ~$2k. An engine tranny, etc swap is going to be more. check out this website for easy mods
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/mods.html
My email is [email protected] if any of you would like to argue.
Thanks,
Nick

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode