Clutch Problems, New Disk Comes Apart! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Clutch Problems, New Disk Comes Apart!

I am no clutch expert, and I need feedback on this. I have a T-19 mated to my 4.2. When I rebuilt the drivetrain 4 years ago, I installed a new clutch, pressure plate, etc... from the local auto parts store. I also had the flywheel resurfaced. Well, since then the jeep has racked up about 4k miles, about half of those miles were behind a tow vehicle. I am guessing less than 2k miles on the clutch. The machine marks on the flywheel are not even dulled, let alone worn yet. The clutch disc has writing on the face that is still readable.

The problem is, the disc came apart. The center section became unattached from the disc. So, I have a couple of questions.

1) Could there have been something wrong with the installation, or did I just get a bad disc? I installed the entire drivetrain as a unit, I don't believe I damaged anything during installation, Plus I am sure the disk was installed in the correct possition. (not backwards)

2) Do I need to replace everything as commonly done when doing a clutch, or can I just replace the disc since everything else shows no wear?

3) What are the recommendations as far as name brand replacements go, I am considering "LUKE" or NAPA brand if no one suggests different.

4) I know, this is a bad question, but since this is no longer a stock jeep, what parts, do I ask for. i.e. clutch for a xxxx year ???? truck with yy spine input? How about for the pilot bearing?

Just a little history, I am typically very easy on a clutch. I have never had clutch problems in my life. I don't believe my driving habits should be a root cause. However, this combo has always seemed like the clutch engaged extremely fast. By that I mean it was not engaged, and then it was engaged, not a lot of room for slippage. (could explain lack of wear) But the jeep would react "almost" like dumping the clutch. I attributed it to the lower geared tranny and dif gears. Could I have had the thing adjusted wrong? It did engage in the correct area of pedal travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Clutch Problems, New Disk Comes Apart!

Sounds like a defective disk to me. I've been using LUK for years, recommend them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks cjjepercreeper!

Anyone else want to add their 2 cents here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 06:25 PM

No need to replace the other parts. It's customary to replace everything only because the labor price is so high compared to the materials that it doesn't make sense if there's any doubt.

I agree with CJ; sounds like a bad disk. Was it a "new" rebuilt clutch? It might have been abused in a former life.

You didn't ask for a high performance clutch, did you? The quick takeup is designed into racing clutch disks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode