question for 1974 jeep cj 5 owners - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

question for 1974 jeep cj 5 owners

on your clutch linkage j-bar or whatever they call it,one arm on the one end is long and the other end arm is short.my jeeps clutch was extremely hard to push so after investagating i found the clutch pedal side was attached to the short arm side and the throwout bearind actuator was hooked to the long arm side.long story short i reversed this bar and the clutch is extremly easier to actuate but the throwout bearing actuator rods travels less distance the clutch works good just less movement per pedal press.which side goes where on your stock jeep ?long =clutch pedal side?>short =clutch pedal side?any help would be apreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 02:52 AM

Re: question for 1974 jeep cj 5 owners

I'm working straight through for the next few days. I'll check mine out monday evening when I have some time. Which engine/tranny combo are you running?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 07:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

origionally a 304\t-15 but right now i have a 360\t-150 using all the origional (that came on the truck anyway clutch components)the truck was pretty cobbed everywhere when i got it so who knows if the ppl before me put it together right or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 07:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i should stress that the clutch was so hard to push it would try to lift the body away from the frame when u depressed the clutch pedal.after i reversed that j bar and now it pushes like butter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine was the same way, every time you pushed the pedal the side of the jeep heaved up. It eventually broke one of the body mounts. I have since ripped all that garbage off and went with a hydraulic setup. Best thing I've done to the jeep so far and it only cost $200.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 03:44 PM

I have a 72 same thing.The stock linkage sux.Everytime I would twist it up the linkage would bind.Do yourself a favor and go to a junkyard and get a hydralic clutch.I got mine for 35.00.It takes a little fabbing to make it work but it is well worth the time and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode