Quadratrac Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quadratrac Question

A friend of mine just picked up a cj with the quadratrac in it. He was wondering how the quadratrac actually worked. He knows how to shift it in and all that but he was wondering about the technical stuff. Is it the axles the lock or is it in the transfercase. This jeep is beyond repair to be driven and he wanted to swap it into his other jeep if its not too hard.
Thanks for any info.

Randy Willey,
91 sami, GM Alt,
jeep sprung, 31's,
jeep flares, 2" exhaust,
6" lift,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Quadratrac Question

Now where is CJDave and his ultimate Snow Jeep knowledge?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a page with a little info on the unit: Quadra-trac.

It has a differential in the case that acts as a limited slip, varying the ratio of power sent to the front and rear driveshafts. You can lock it to give a 50/50 split as well. Low range came as a bolt on option.

You would probably need an adapter to bolt it to other trannies, but the TH400 that the CJ came with is a strong tranny and will bolt up to other AMC straight sixes and V8s.

<font color=red>jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250
</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 07:31 PM
BigMan

I talked to dave last night and he said he was leaving out ona run today.
I don't know why you'd want to swap in a q-track. Everyong pulls them out. Theyare chain driven and after a few years the don't work right. Even when lock in they have a shift fork thats vacume loaded so with enough power it will disengage. The t-case acts like an open diff in that it sends the most poweer to the axle with the least traction. Swaping in q-track is like replacing your detroit locker with an open carrier. It's only redeaming qualities is it is good for snow and it is behind a really good tranny but it needs work to use anythig but the q-track. I have some info on the setup options of the th-400 and the q-trac on my page but it's mostly on how to replace it.

Al
My web page
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 09:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

"Senator, I'm glad you asked me that!" The Quadra-Trac case is about the simplest of all the cases. It only has a sprocket on the back of the tranny...a big chain going toward the passenger's side and down to drive the outside of a barrel differential. The differential has a shaft sticking out each side of it, one shaft goes forward to the front axle, and one shaft goes back to the rear axle. The barrel differential allows the axles to turn at different speeds (for going around corners), and to compensate for differences in tire size if the guy hasn't kept them trimmed. There is a collar that slides into the side of the barrel differential which locks the whole thing together and makes both axles pull together no matter what. THAT is the same as FWD in the old Jeeps and the ones with conventional cases. There is also a set of cone clutches which semi-lock the differential if you get down hard on the throttle and one axle spins in loose gravel or something like that. There is also an optional "Low Range" that goes in the back of the top sprocket, you can check to see if there is a small lever behind the driver's right foot....that is low range. Some had it...some did not. You will not have to use "Emergency Drive"...in other words the locking collar...unless you stick the Jeep in a tough spot. If you do have to lock up, actuate the vacuum, and then go fwd-rev-fwd-rev until the lock light comes on.

CJDave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 12:35 AM
BigMan

Dave I'l never understand why you like that t-case but to each their own brother..!

Al
My web page
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 09:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey, we are all just a little crazy about something. We were going to buy a new TJ and transplant my favorite SNOCASE (a 242) into the TJ. It was totally by accident that we found a QT Cj...we did not know they existed since we knew zero about Jeeps. The (modified) QT is the closest thing to a 242 I could think of that wasn't a transplant. NOT that I am fearful of transplants (put xxx into yyy many times) it just seemed like the QT would work for us if we de-clutched the cone clutches, modified the vacuum system, and made a tricky indicator light arrangement for my Jeep chick wife to visually see what is going on. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Man, I'm still beat from the Rome-Berlin-Tokyo run yesterday... Maybe I'm getting too old for this stuff... UGH! GROAN! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode