Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After months of checking the board out and finally getting everything figured out i have a question. First one, so here it goes. I'm building my first rockcrawler out of a 1 ton blazer that I built a while ago. Cut the frame, shortened the wheelbase to 98 inches and slapped a cj-3b body that i had laying around. I have the engine, 350 chevy by trade, and have my choice of tranny's, 350 turbo or 465. I want to stack two transfer cases together but dont have the know how of the adapters or want the hassle of trying to figure it out. Could I use a 205 married case to a divorced transfer case and get the dual case setup that is desired? What problems would I have? I know the front drive shaft would be long but if I build it strong enough (they will come....field of dreams), everything should work? Will I get the desired multiplication of gears? Please tell me this will work. Need lots of help here. Missing link to my project..
DCB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if you've only got a 98" wheelbase, I'm not so sure you'll have room for the tranny, t-case, intermediate shaft, second t-case, and rear driveshaft. A divorced 205 setup would be pretty simple to find...but if you use 2 205s, you're only getting 4:1 t-case multiplication (2:1 low range, in 2 t-cases). So you could just use ONE t-case with 4:1 gears in it and have the same thing, without the extra weight, complexity, or intermediate shaft.

The marrying of 2 t-cases isn't really so hard. Lots of guys have done it, and there are now commercially available kits out there to get the job done. The use of a NP203 low range box is a very popular way to get the job done, and you could end up with a lower low range than the use of 2 205s would produce, along with a shorter drivetrain, AND you could get by without the intermediate shaft.

IOW, I don't think your idea will work on your wheelbase, and if it did, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. So here are my suggestions:
1. Use a D300 with 4:1 gears
2. Use an Atlas with 4:1 gears
3. Use married dual t-cases using a NP203 low range box
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hear what you are saying but I'm living on a high dollar budget with a poor mans salary. I'd love to have the atlas and use the doubler kits that are out on the market but damn they are expensive. I built the blazer over a couple of years from the old batering system with friends. Theoritically this could work, right? I have some buddy's that have 203's and 300's but I want to keep this as simple as possible. how much extra weight do you think this would add?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:41 AM

well with all that length of the 2 Tcases and the tranny you might run into driveline angle problems for the rear. You could also ask this Q on the Chevy SFA board.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

I considered (considering) doing this myself as the Np205 is cheap and easy to come by and the ORD doubler while $800 smacks requires a specific NP205 (namely one that came behind a th400) or changing the input shaft and machining the case out for a larger bearing (=exspensive). The adapter for a dana 300 while providing you with a nice short drivetrain is 400-550$. Add $750 for the 4.1 gears again (=exspensive). I won't go into an atlas t-case because I can't afford something that cost more than both my jeeps combined :0.

The way that I would do it (might too) is run your first transfercase behind your SM465/TH350/TH400 as a standard chevy passenger side drop. Then either get you a ford divorced case or plug the vent on a chevy and flip the sucker over (make a new vent on top and new linkage) and run it to a passenger side drop front axle. Front full width dana 44's from fords are plentiful and usually cheap (I picked up one recently with 4.10 gears no axles for $50). That gets your driveshaft out of the way . You need to be creative with your exhaust and it would help if you coil sprung the rear to get it back further because at 98" your rear shaft is going to be short. If I can't sell some of the stuff I have for sale soon I won't be buying the dana 300 to sm465 adapter and I will probably stick the divorced 205 back there and put the Ford axle up front. I will know in a few weeks and if I do it I will be sure to post pictures.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 05:55 PM

i sure it have been done before,
but with a 98" wheelbase i don't think your going to have enough room for a rear drive shaft using the drivetrain your talking about.....i'd take alot of measurements before you start [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

10-4 thanks for the input. Maybe I'll cut the frame again and lengthen her a bit. I am having the frame strengthen and braced this weekend by a buddy so I'll be under it a bit. i'm gonna take as many measurements as I can. I'll get back to you guys as soon as I get them. thanks.
DCB
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 02:30 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm working on a TH350/203/D20 setup. Turns out to be only one inch longer than the stock TH400/D20 setup. The 203 was free, the adapter I am having machined, total cost about $500.00. Here's a mock-up of the setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 750610-frame trans6 resize.jpg (53.8 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 02:33 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

With engine attached. (sorry about the lousy quality)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 750612-frame and motor2.jpg (14.0 KB, 1 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 10:06 AM
Can't Get Enough

Looks pretty good. Is the connection on the shaft (assuming your gonna have a spud shaft made) gonna be a male to male setup? I have a np203 but never took it apart to see what the output was gonna look like. If its female (meaning my adapter would be male to male, into a dana 300 (female input) it should be easy to have made. I checked on a female to male (sm465 to dana 300) and to do the inside splines the places around here wanted more than the adapter companies (the ones that could even fathom what I was talking about). I though about cutting a SR4 output shaft and welding it in the tube adapter part that runs between the 465 and 205 then making my bolt up spacer out of like 3/8. That was a little too high speed though for something I want to hold together in the woods [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode