Couple of questions!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:30 AM
CRSETH

Couple of questions!!!

I just bought a 360,T-150 and Dana 20. I'll have the 360 ready to go in my 82 CJ-5 this fall. I am still debating on headers or manifolds. I have read the other posts and what clearance problems am I going to run into? I was thinkng about side pipes but I have step bars,can side pipes be routed under the bars? I just need some help deciding which route to take. I have another problem I need some quick help on. The tires that came on my jeep are no longer avaliable and one of the sidewalls has a knot on it. I hate to buy 4 tires just to have them all match and the tires all have about 85% tread left on them. Can I just get the biggest boot I can find and put it in the tire or is there a better way without buying new tires. I did find a few good deals on tires today Maxxis Buckshot Mudders 32" for $115.00 mounted with tax included and BFG All Terrains 32" for 130.00 mounted w/ tax included. Also is the reason the T-150 is not desirable is the high ratio(no granny low first). I'll just be offroading and no rock climbing will the T-150, d20 combo be a good choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 02:19 AM

Re: Couple of questions!!!

If I were you I would find a T18 tranny, granny low first is always nice, and they are STRONG.

As far as the tire goes, is it leaking or is it just ripped slightly.
I have a buddy who works in a tire shop and he just got me a brand new (200 miles) BFG mud terrain KM 33x10.50 for a spare. The tire had a slight puncture in the side wall, only through 1 ply holds air fine. I got it for free! $150 tire for free because of a slight cut. They had to put a new one on some ladys SUV because of the road hazard warranty.

You might just try to find a tire of that size different brand or same used, then run them until they go bald. Or if that tire is leaking slap a tube in it and you will be good to go!

Tony
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 08:30 AM

Sometimes a tire can get an internal leak that allows air to seep through the sidewall where it's trapped by the outer layer of rubber. That can create a bulge in the sidewall, without causing any decrease in the tire strength.

On the other hand, a similar appearing bulge can be caused by broken cords in the sidewall, which is not safe. I don't know if you can feel the difference by pressing on the bulge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 03:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldnt run the tire in question on the highway...but on the trails...why not? I say get a similar tire to drive on, and use this one as a spare.

-remy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 08:50 PM
CRSETH

I traded the old tires in on 4 BFG all terrains today, so that solved that problem. I still would like some more replies on the header and tranny questions.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 77 CJ-7 with a 304 a T-150 tranny and a dana 20 and I have the in-frame headers. I had no problem with clearance in my case (was a little tight to install but there were no required modifications). Don't know how much of a differance the 360 will make though!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 11:17 PM
CRSETH

I don't know if there is a difference in the clearance in your CJ-7 opposed to my CJ-5, but I think the blocks are the same on the 304 and 360.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JC Whitney has a header/exhaust combo that should bolt on an stay inside the frame all the way to the back. No sure if it will pass any inspections you may have in your area though.

I know that this is not good if you let the air down in your tires to low to wheel, but you could just put a tube in that bad tire and run them out a little more before you change them.

The T150/D20 combo will work but is not optimum. If the budget will allow go for a T18 instead. I have a 78 CJ5 304 T150 D20 4.56 difs and 33" tires. Low just is not low enough. (I am not into rock crawling.) That is why there is a CJ T18 with 6.32 is sitting on the garage floor waiting to go in. (I just need the time!)

Good Luck!
Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode