ARG.... Starting problems.. Help Requested. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

ARG.... Starting problems.. Help Requested.

Ok, Heres the scoop.. I wasnt really paying attention, trying to jump the wrangler, and low and behold I fried my Optima. Got the cables switched. I KNOW I KNOW, stupid mistake, NO COMMENTS!!! Anyway, I unplug the wagoneer battery, stick it on there, and as soon as I connect the power cable, the starter starts going off like it is demon possessed; No keys in the ignition at all. I am thinking this is a toasted starter relay. When I plugged up the power cable it also arched against the battery terminal just as the starter started demonizing. The cables were on CORRECT this time. Any Idead?

Thanks in advance.

=-Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 08:43 AM

Re: ARG.... Starting problems.. Help Requested.

Sounds like the starter solenoid is toast. Put an ohmeter or test light across the two big lugs and see what you get. If the light lights or meter reads anything but open, that's it.

You can try giving it a whack with a suitable club. That might rattle it loose. Otherwise make a trip to the parts house. Meanwhile scatter flower petals and burn incense and pray to the Silicon Gods that you didn't fry anything else.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 09:11 AM

would it help to bypass it completely and jump right to the soleniod? I was doing that for a while when trying to fix my own wiring problems. It's always nice to actualy hear the thing fire over, and work back from there. There's just something odd feeling about that non starting sound, I guess it just gets to me after a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 09:22 AM
Official Historian

Unbolt the cable from the solenoid to the starter before you try the test light. Then ground the test light to the - side of the battery and probe the empty terminal that the starter connects to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode