Chevy 350 for my YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chevy 350 for my YJ

So I was gonna go with a 360 from a waggie, but there aren't too many around here and the 350 seems to be easier to build. Anyways, I'm at the stage now where I need to figure out exactly what I have to purchase to make this work...ie...motor mounts, adapters, brackets, etc. Basically the necessities to make it fit. (look at the bottom of the post for my Jeep's current specs) I know a guy who says he can help me along as far as the engine itself is concidered...but I need to know what extra expenses are there so I can tell him how much I have to spend on the building itself. All info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Chevy 350 for my YJ

Personally...I'd put a 4.0L head and fuel injection on that 258, maybe a header, and it'd be nearly as powerful as a stock 350, and no headaches with adapters, and other motor swap headaches....but thats me...

Since your sig doesnt say anything about new axles...I dont think I'd be comfy with a V-8 under my foot with a CAD D30 and a D35 rear and 33s...

-remy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:25 PM

Stick with a chevy, below is a write up I did on my swap, will help you get started:

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Ravine...edsV8swap.html

big ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 04:27 PM

V8's got a good write up there, I used a 700 r4 in mine and had to change driveshaft lengths. As for the motor mounts, I'm using the Advance adapters saddle-mount set-up. What adpters you'll need will depend on what you're going to do transmission wise, The stock Jeep autos aren't gonna be strong enough to take the abuse from a V8 (even the dodge autos that come behind the diesels don't hold up)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 04:31 PM

I forgot, I'm running a CJ front clip which is an inch shorter than the YJ and I 'm using a 14" mechanical fan on 1" space (puts the fan about 3/4" from the radiator)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 01:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alright, well thanks. V8, about how much was your swap total...minus the engine and tranny? What about did your engine and tranny cost seperate?
I was planning on having my stock auto rebuilt with some better parts...worth it? Or would a complete swap be cheaper?
I don't wannna spend too much money on this, I figure about $600 tops for the engine and $400 tops for spare parts. And then there's the tranny, no clue! Can it be done and work fine within this range? I figure that it would cost me about the same to build up my 4.2 as it would to put in the 350 so why not...besides(i know I'l get chewed for this)I'm kinda bored with the 4.2L. I think the swap will be fun and a great learning experience...
Thanks again for the help and nice write up V8, helps a lot.
Tim
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 01:32 PM

The cost is tough but I'll give it a shot, been about 6yrs!

motor: 1967 283ci block was given to me, put about $b00 into heads, machine work, rebuild kit, and intake/carb
Tranny: got th350 for $125 from a yard, put $250 into a warrantied rebuilt kit.
np231 to th350 adapter: about $450
Motor mounts: $75
ratchet shifter: $160
misc sh!t: $200 (you'll be surprised how just bolts and stuff add up)

But I would say if I bought a stock YJ today and somebody gave me the 350 and TH350, It would probably cost an additional $800 to get it in???
Go with the TH350, I would't take chances with the stock one.
The only thing I wish I would have done is just stay chevy all the way though (i.e. a chevy 205 or 205 tans. case) and put a different front axle with a passenger drop pumpkin. That is coming up within the next year or two hpefully
I still need to get my ford 8.8"

Email me directly at [email protected]
I don't get on the bbs much anymore, just did catch this thread!

big ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode