axle ?, can I swap carriers & not reset the pinion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

axle ?, can I swap carriers & not reset the pinion

I have two 8.8" axles, one has 4.11 gears and an open carrier, the other has 3.73 gears and the factory locker. I am going to try an use the locker until I get a spool or locker but I need the 4.11 gears. Both have 31 spline axle shafts.

Question:
Can I swap the locker off the 3.73 ring gear and onto the 4.11 ring gear, then put the locker/4.11 ring combo into the axle housing with the 4.11 pinion. All without having to reset the pinion?

Thanks,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: axle ?, can I swap carriers & not reset the pinion

Most likely. That's exactly what I did putting a Detroit in my Model 20, you will need to reset the R&P backlash, though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 09:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

90% of the time you can take a carrier from one rear and put it right in to another and use all the same shims from the carrier that you are using. But there is that 10% of the time that it will be wrong. So you should recheck all settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will assemble the axle with the locker and do the toothpast check to see what kind of pattern I get. Worst case, I will re set the pinion, will be my first time doing that.
Anybody know a site for torque settings on a 8.8" axle setup, I take it the seal/rebuild kit will come with that info?

Big Ed
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 09:23 AM
jeepfiend

You really shouldn't have to mess with the pinion depth if it is now correct. You should be able to get the gears to pattern by adjusting the shims on the carrier. The pinion depth fixes the relationship of the pinion gear to the diameter of the ring gear, a carrier change should not affect pinion depth. Your rebuild kit will not necessarily come with the torque specs, your best bet would be to contact a dealer or some place like Randy's Ring and Pinion. Even a lot of the service manuals like Haynes and Chiltons do not have torque specs for differentials.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 09:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Ring gear bolts should be torque to 70 to 80 pds if they are 1/2 bolts. If they are 3/8's i think it is 40 to 50. The carrier cap bolts should be 70 to 80 also. Its pretty standard throughout the industry.

Just a thought. I realy didnt understand what you were doing at first. But if you are leaving the pinion in the same rear you wont need to touch it. Just worry about the backlash.

One word of advise thought check the carrier bearings closely from the open carrier if you see any marks change the pinion bearings. The pinion bearings take a bigger beating then the carriers do.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 11:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but Why not leave the carrieer and pinion alone and just pull the locker and spider gears and swap them? At the most all you have to do is pull the carrier if the cross shafts won't clear inside the housing to remove. Unless of course the carriers are different sizes, and I'm waisting my breath thinking outloud [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brent
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear Jeepfiend. I could only justify setting the pinion again if I were completely changing gear sets.
mbal, I am leaving the pinion alone in both axles. I just need to swap carriers so that the locker is on the 4.11 ring gear and the 3.73 ring is on the open carrier. I believe the actual carriers are different, so I don't think it is possible to just swap the guts of the carriers. The trac-lok carrier has springs in it for the locker. Good point though, I will check it out tonight.

BTW, I found an AWESOME site for rebuilding an 8.8" Gotta love those 'stang guys for doing all the work!
http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

Thanks again all,
big ed
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 05:38 PM

assuming the bearings and gears are fine every thing looks good, you don't have to mess with the pinion at all. (if there is pitting/wear on the carrier bearings/races, the pinion's most likely the same)
i always check the backlash before removing used gears, then when you swap the ring gear over you only have to reset the backlash and slightly preload the used carrier bearings (i don't preload used bearing the same as new ones) also alway check the pattern when your done, also any 4x4 shop or place that set up gears will have lots of spare marking compound laying around, they may just give it to you if you ask for some.......i do
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

ok, here's a real dumb question!
How do I get the carrier out of the axle? I took the caps off, and of course the center pin, clips, and axle shafts are removed. Does the carrier slide left to right to come out, or does it simple lift straight up?
Thanks,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode