Looking into a 2.5-3 lift - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Looking into a 2.5-3 lift

IMHO you should get a 2.5" lift and if you want to get bigger(and I guarantee you will) then you can do a spring over with that lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:13 AM

I know that everyone has been telling you 2.5 or 3.5" lift is to mouch lift for 31" tires. I dont know if they are keeping inmind the fact the this guy has square head lights. My buddy put a 4 inch skyjacker lift on his YJ (93 I think) and it looks sweet with 31s. I think it sagged slightly, but I would not go any bigger then 31s with 2.5" of lift. 2.5" lift kits are good because they are a good not to high lift to start with then when you want to go big they can be easily ran spring over. The flater spring will also flex better then an arched spring.

I think I would go with BDS seem like good prices and a life time warranty, cant beet that! I have only heard good things about them.

I would avoid anything bigger then a 1/2" shackle lift if you go that route. Maybe 1/2" shackle and 1" body and you could clear the 31s?

good luck, its a jeep you will be happy with it no matter what. And you will never be done!

Tony

PS-just read the other posts, dont go spring over just yet, you wont get that good of a ride if it is a daily driver. Go with a 2.5" or 4" lift.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:45 AM

As I'm reading this I was wondering. What exactly goes into the average lift kit. Avg being 2.5-3.5". If you just do a suspension lift do you need to do any work with the pitman arm or transfter case?
I've got a 88 with 30's on it right now, so I was thinking about the 2.5" myself, and getting 31-33's evetualy. It's a budget thing at this point, I'd really like a 3.5" and 33's, but not sure if I could swing the $$ right now.

I was just curious if you needed to do a lot of other adjustments along with just a suspension lift? or does that come when you do a body lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The BDS lift kit includes everything you need to do the lift and be able to drive a little off road, if you are gona go a little more hard core off road then I suggest a SYE/CV conversion.

Also, what the heck do having square headlights have to do with anything here? My square headlights ROCK!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes I said it, my square head lights rock! See for your self
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 749869-Georgie&Jeep_0008.jpg (49.1 KB, 4 views)
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:24 PM

The BDS shocks that come witht the BDS 3.5" are pretty good?
Ok, this means I found a place that will throw in 4 BDS shocks, is it worth it?
post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:33 PM

I have no complaints with my BDS Shocks, I think they ride very good on teh road (I do a lot of driving, even highway at 75mph). Only had them off road once so far and seem to be just fine, the rebound may be a little slow, but I might have to use them a little more to critique them any more than that.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:49 PM

I was just curious as to how they stacked up against a Rancho (5k or 9k). Was it worth it to just get the BDS just the lift kit, and get separate shocks or go with the BDS?
post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The complete BDS lift kit (shocks and springs) is very good out of the box. The Rancho 5K are inferior, very inferior shock to BDS, however the Rancho 9K is superior due to it's adjustability, however, 90% of the time the adjustment willbe set at the same level that the BDS are allready. So if you must have that extra 10% difference then go ahead and pay the big bucks for it. I have been on Jeeps with BDS shocks and with R9K's (I felt no difference) on road or off road.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The RS9000s REALLY shine when you take your vehicle to extremes...

For instance...if you do long highway trips, you can set them smooth to keep wifey quiet...once on the trail, turn the knob and you're ready to go.

In another case....if your Jeep changes weight a lot...like if you drive alone often, but that the whole family (4 people) with you wheeling...you'll like being able to stiffen up the shocks when you've got a good amount of weight in your back seat. I personally love them, have had them on my Ram since almost new...put them on a TJ I built for a friend, and have friends with CJs that also love them. YES, they are more expensive...but like everything else in life, you really do get what you pay for!

-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode