Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Gearing down and Lockers on a CJ7 (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/116489-gearing-down-lockers-cj7.html)

KCMF 04-18-2002 04:35 PM

Gearing down and Lockers on a CJ7

I recently bought a '86 CJ7 for mostly off road use. I might drive it to work once in a while in the summer. I do have a trailer and will tow it on trips. I chose this '86 because it was clean and from what I understood, It was most of the way to a good drivetrain with the T case and stock D44 rear end. Right now it has 3:31 gears which is too high for what I want to use if for (moderate rock crawling etc.) I also am planning on lockers. I got an estimate to put 456 gears in it and it was about $1,000.00. (I've only called one place, this could be high) That choked me up a little. I originally thought I could get by with lock right lockers cause I don't plan on putting a big motor in it. My thinking is that since I have to get a new carrier (I think), I should go with the detroits since they come with carriers. (I can't afford ARB's) If I go down this road, I will be into this upgrade about $2,000.00 (Just for gears and lockers) My question is, Could I get some used axles for less? (Already geared) or should I just bite the bullet. I would prefer 456 but could probably live with 4:11's if I found some.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 05:12 PM

Re: Gearing down and Lockers on a CJ7

YOu can do a Tera Low 4:1 for less than that, it is easy to do yourself. The D300 T-case is easy to work on. It will give you a crwl ratio in the mid 50s with your present gears.

jfralph 04-18-2002 05:48 PM

Nothing beats gears. Yes, you can do a T-case low range kit, but you still will have 3:31 for driving down the highway. If you have put any size tire on the jeep, it will hate hills and starting.

I have the same set-up, and I have just installed 3:73 with a low geared tranny. I have good offroad performance and the jeep will cruise down the highway at 70 if I was so inclined.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 07:23 PM

The D44 is a good rear axle, and i wouldnt be afraid to spend some money on it. If you want to run larger than 33's, that front D30 is going to get questionable with a locker in it.

A detroit is a good idea for the rear, as well as the front, but I've heard of the lock-rite doing well in the front D30 as well. 3.73s would be good for 33's if you dont have an overdrive. 4.10s if you do.

-remy

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 07:24 PM

The D44 is a good rear axle, and i wouldnt be afraid to spend some money on it. If you want to run larger than 33's, that front D30 is going to get questionable with a locker in it.

A detroit is a good idea for the rear, as well as the front, but I've heard of the lock-rite doing well in the front D30 as well. 3.73s would be good for 33's if you dont have an overdrive. 4.10s if you do.
Oh--one other thing....$1000 for just gears is WAY too much...R&P sets are less than $200 a piece, and i think $300 to set up each axle is rediculous. Shop around.

-remy

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 07:39 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I recently bought a '86 CJ7 for mostly off road use. I might drive it to work once in a while in the summer.

<hr></blockquote>
Hey guys, read the post. He's gonna use it off road mostly. That to me means low range most of the time. Do the math, a 4:1 with a T-5 and 3.31s will give a better crawl ratio than the stock t-case gearing with 4.88s. And going that deep with a Dana 30 gives you guaranteed R&amp;P breakage, incredibily small contact. Ideally, he should do a 4:1 with 4.10s, but then you're talking bigger bucks. The 4:1 t-case makes much more sense if you're gonna use it the way he says.

Bob Ackley 04-18-2002 08:36 PM

Make darn sure you have the D44. Not every 86 came with them, and I know a few that had a M20 swapped INTO them. ( I did one myself.....)

east116 04-18-2002 10:00 PM

I just had 4.10's and a detroit locker swapped in to my 82 cj-7. I don't have any kind of locker in my front end, but I only payed $90 an axle to have the gears setup and the detroit put in the rear. I think I got a pretty good deal on it, especially since the guy was into drag racing for years so I had faith that he knew what he was doing. Definately do some shopping around on the $1000 price, but it all depends on what area your in as to how expensive it will be too.

Another thing.. I wouldn't put 4.56's in that D30. Go with 4.10's and the 4:1 kit or swap out that front axle.

Hope this helps somehow

WILL 04-18-2002 10:35 PM

I would think that a dana 30 would live better with 3.31's and a 4:1 transfer case than the stock low range with 4.56's. The 3.31's should have a bigger pinion and more contact area so the chance of breaking would be less.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-19-2002 12:45 AM

Dana 30 gears! 4.10 vs 4.56 Come awn guys, go with the 4.56's and detroit's. This is a classic old-school set-up that has been run for years under MANY rigs, I trust my Front Dana 30 more then the POS rear Amc 20, cause I've run 35's on them and the 20 fawked up first. Now $1000 sounds too high, gears with set-up kits $400, labor another $400 at most, but you will now have the cost of the lockers too so that's about $900 to add. Make sure you call around a lot and play the price beating game. I know someone that got a Detroit for the front of his XJ for like $380. PS- don't buy junk like Genuine Gear R&amp;P's.