Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Do I have problems? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/116476-do-i-have-problems.html)

84yellowCJ7 04-18-2002 02:05 PM

Do I have problems?

Hi, my name is Josh and I have a problem. For more than 3 years now I have been addicted to Jeeps, yes Jeeps. I honestly think there is something wrong with me. For the past three years at least 50% of the money I have made has went towards my Jeep. Considering that is only a summer job, it is not much. I have even only asked for Jeep parts for Christmas (Yes, I still get good gifts from my parents). This year I think I will as to get the Wagoner axels cut down. Who asks for that for Christmas? Being away from my Jeep this year at college has made it that much worse. To feed my habit I look at this message board at least 5 times a day. I also pass the little free time I have researching what would be the next best mod for my Jeep. I am getting extremely anxious knowing that there is only two and a half more weeks of school then I will be reunited with my baby. I can't wait to take her in into my arms and do all the mods that my wallet can afford. What is wrong with me? Do I have a mental disorder or is it just jeep fever?

Jim_Lou 04-18-2002 02:31 PM

Re: Do I have problems?

A cold shower and a warm beer will help.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 02:41 PM

Yes you are a confirmed Jeep addict there is no recovery jsut more Jeeps and more mods it way to late for you.And it never changes I'm 53 and when the Jeep chick wants to know what i want for Christmas it's always something for the Jeep.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 03:01 PM

i have been addicted since i turned 16 and bought my first jeep. i really can admit i have a problem. it seems any time i have any money at all it gets spent on my jeep. my jeepchick thinks i'm going crazy because i do the wave to jeepers. anyway there is no cure for this but spend every dime you make on your jeep. by the way theres no turning back now!!!

85Jeepny 04-18-2002 03:06 PM

It is a lifelong problem....no matter how mad you get sometimes...you still come back and can't stop thinking about the Jeep & what to do next

thorjeep 04-18-2002 03:08 PM

Welcome Josh,
I too am a jeepaholic, it has effected my job, my family and my friends. I have been known to stop drinking to save for parts for my Jeep. My friends have stopped asking what I did last weekend for fear I will go into detail the latest repair/replace/upgrade story. My family knows how to get me out of the room by saying things like "I thought I saw something fall off your Jeep" or "I think a new Jeep catalog came in, it is out in the garage". I know the UPS guy by name, and have referred him to my Chiropractor after large shipments. I have been known to get out of work for a "Sick Jeep" that needs TLC (I have always been able to take time when I want, advantages of 50-80hr weeks).
When I am anxious, depressed, or crazed, my wife tells me, calm down; imagine yourself in your "Jeep Place".

Yes, it is an addiction. Since you are in school, use it to motivate yourself to a satisfying, profitable career to feed your addiction. Remember money is not everything, if you have a job you love and it: Has a Hydraulic Lift; Sells or manufactures Jeep Parts; Allows you to live near a great set of Trails; Has fabrication tools, supplies, etc; you will be able to live a happy and productive life with this disease.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 04:32 PM

At least you can admit it. Many of us are in denial. It gets worse when you get to multiple Jeeps, and then they start fighting with each other over who gets wrenched this weekend, or who gets the next mod. But it's just so hard to stay monogomous!

Do I ask for new socks for Christmas, or that computer game I've been wanting? Hell, I hardly even turn on the compooter at the house anymore, other than to search the forums for info on whatever mod I'm working on at the time. Nope. I ask for tow hooks and suspension components.

Has my relationship ever been on the rocks because of the Jeeps. More than once. "You spend more time with the Jeeps than with me! You care about those hunks of metal more than me!" blah blah blah. Sometimes I thing..."yeah"...

I'm the only person in my office who comes to work on Mondays (and many other days for that matter) in dress clothes with grease under my fingernails. Noone even asks what I did this past weekend anymore!

dschwab9 04-18-2002 04:41 PM

Seems like a common problem. All I wanted for christmas last year was Jeep stuff. I did get a few "real gifts", but ended up with a big box of stainless hinges and mirrors and stuff, digital oil pressure and voltage guages to match my speedo, a new tow strap, and various other Jeep accessories [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And I got gift certificates from Sears and Home Depot to buy tools [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Seems like every Monday when I walk in the office, I get asked "what did you do to the Jeep over the weekend?"
Luckily, I get to, for the most part, set my own schedule. Of course, it revolves around wheeling and the Jeep.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 04:48 PM

I dont think of it as a problem, its more of a way of life. Some people spend their lives worrying about things, obsessing about money power and fame. For some people their family is their life, or their job.
My life revolves around my jeep. I bought it, tore apart, put it back together, tore it apart again, and so on and so on. The cycle is endless. Just when you think you've reached the end of the mods and built the perfect vehicle, you find something else to do to it, or you find a new jeep that needs to be built and rebuilt and on and on.

Embrace your addiction and have a blast at the same time. Your family will be glad that you arent spending all of your time at the bars, because they already know your in the garage working hard to keep your jeep happy and alive.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 05:04 PM

Ive been addicted for quite some time now .... 5 years I think. It doesnt seemt to get any better. In fact when I moved upto college I had my parents trailer my jeep up here to keep me happy! I dont get to work on it as much as I used to since I havent found a job since this town is full of students and all of them want a job. But I manage to scrounge up some cash here and there just to buy more stuff to put on my baby. Ive come to realize that this addiction will never go away and Im fine with that. In fact I have even infected some people [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Some which are already asking for rights to the jeep if something were ever to happen to me. I think they're planning to kill me off just for the jeep. Who knows addiction can lead you to do crazy things