Can you carb a 4.0L??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Can you carb a 4.0L???

I was wonderng if this is possible. I have a buddy with a 4.0 with 69K miles but no computer or harness.

Also possible could the 4.0L be used with a 4 cyl jeep computer control? My step dad has a 90 YJ with a 4 banger and possibly this motor would end up in that jeep.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 04:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Can you carb a 4.0L???

I don't see why you couldn't run a carb on a 4.0? But I do see a big problem running a 4cyl computer on a 6cyl. I just doesn't seem like it would work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 04:57 PM

The intake manifolds are pretty much interchangable on the 4.0 and the 258, although you might have minor problems with brackets.
With that being said, if you really want to do this use a 258 intake and carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dan, have you gone Amish on us?

Seriously....the whole glory of the 4.0L is its fuel injection...I think I would keep it and find a donor with the appropriate electronics to keep the MPI...but thats me..

-remy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 07:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You can carb a 4.0 by putting the older intake on it, it is not a hard change over. And the 6 cyl will not run on a 4 cyl computer. I had the exact same problem last summer. I looked and looked for a wiring harnes and computer, I could't find one anywhere. I finally ended up scraping the project. Next time I am going to get a donor vehical. So I have the engine, rad, trans, computer and harnes.
good luck with your project.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I just knew I would get some ribbing on this. But what are you guys for!! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
here is the deal
A buddy got a 1998 4.0L 6 with 29K miles on it.
and a 1988 XJ with no motor, with an auto and stock everything else. No title
Well he is trying to get rid of it. Not like I need any other projects, but I was just thinking a low buck aproach.
It is easy enough to get the intake manifolds and the other guts from a blown 258 a friend has.
I havnt seen any cheap harness. The XJ had the harness completely "CUT" from the engine compartment.
SO I was thinking that a quick carb on the motor might be doable, but i dont know if the computer controls the ignition, or could i use the 258 distributer. I know the Fuel injection is the best, but we have absolutely nothing but flatgraound down here and carbs run just fine for what we wheel in here.
So I was thinking if it will take only a little bit of work to put together I might get it from him.
Also I know they arent the same, but I have to ask. Are the 4 cyl and 6 cyl mounts the same? I think the XJ had a 4 cyl, but i do not know for sure.
If there is anyone who wants all these parts, my buddy is willing to get rid of it all pretty cheap.
thanks

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode