Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Headers +Tranny Fluid = fire? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/116462-headers-tranny-fluid-%3D-fire.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 12:06 PM

Headers +Tranny Fluid = fire?

hey all,

I was told there is an article (i forget which magazine or flyer) that said something about jeeps with automatics and rolling over can cause a fire cause of the tranny fluid coming out of the dipstick and hitting the header. The article said something about putting a valve so that when he rolls over he can shut the valve or something.

Anybody read this article, any comments. I have yet to read it.

jeepfiend 04-18-2002 01:48 PM

Re: Headers +Tranny Fluid = fire?

I have not seen the article, or did not pay attention if I did, but I have personally seen ATF burn on headers. I spilled a little one time when I was adding some fluid. I had just barely parked the car after a drive and the headers were pretty hot. It didn't light real fast like fuel or anything, but it did burn for a while. Fortunately, no damage done, but I was surprized it burned like it did.

81cj5 04-18-2002 02:05 PM

One time my friend bronco started spewing ATF out the spout on the headers after a 5 hour drive to the beach. No fire but tons of smoke zero visibilty

shawnscj 04-18-2002 02:18 PM

Not sure about ATF, but when I worked for Rousch Racing we had a vehicle fire on a dynochasitor. While the vehicle test was in progress it sprung a POWER STEERING FLUID leak, spraying on the exhaust manifold starting an uncontrolable fire that ultimatelly claimed nearly the whole biulding.

If a Jeep is flipped and is leaking ATF, won't it just leak on the hood? I guess if it is on it's side it could happen, but I wouldn't think a Jeep on it's side wouldn't leak ATF out the dip stick tube.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 02:22 PM

I agree, most likely it wouldn't spill out on its side. I was just wondering if anybody has seen the article. I was told that the guy put some type of push valve or something on the dipstick. I am just wondering what he did and how he did it. Right now I have everything on a kill switch so that if something happens I can shut the whole jeep down at once.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 03:13 PM

went out for a day of wheeling in my last dodge truck, went through some upper fender height water. the tranny got water in it i did james bond smoke screens all the way home from the water and atf coming out of the filler of all places. rebuilt the tranny 3 days later.

GreenMachine 04-18-2002 03:27 PM

I have personally seen two jeeps that burnt to the ground from fires caused by auto matic transmission fluid catching fire. One the transmission lines were made of rubber and after a day of wheeling one contacted the exhaust and caught fire. The second one the fluid actually got hot and spewed out the pan onto the exhaust and burnt the jeep. On the first case the guy had a fire exstinguisher and so did the guy he was wheeling with and they were not enough to put the fire out (I hauled the burnt tub off it was worthless).
If you swap in an auto make as much of the lines you can out of metal and make sure you run a good cooler.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 03:32 PM

good point about the tranny lines. Mine are hard up to about the engine mount and than are soft lines. I've been thinking of re doing them since I was in a rush and did a horrible job. Maybe after this subject I may do them sooner than later.

FatBoyRob 04-18-2002 04:26 PM

A Jeep (at least an ZJ will leak ATF out of the dipstick while it is on it's side. I had a friend do a tippy do last August. Only rolled onto the driver's side. Couldn't figure out what the red stuff on the ground was until I climbed under (after righting it) and realized the fluid had been coming out the dipstick. Didn't realize the stuff could burn. Thank goodness that didn't happen, because then he'd have been really upset.

Rob