Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   fuel filter???? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/116384-fuel-filter.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 04-17-2002 08:18 PM

fuel filter????

My 99TJ sputters at idle in gear (auto). When I get if any gas and go above idle it is OK. Does this sould like a clogged fuel filter? If so, How hard is it to change. it is in the fuel tank right? Is that the only filter? How often should you change this filter. Do you have to drop the gas tankl to do it? Alot of questions here huh??
Thanks
mike

Jim_Lou 04-18-2002 07:55 AM

Re: fuel filter????

That doesn't sound like a filter problem. If the filter is restricting flow so that there's not enough gasoline to idle properly, the engine wouldn't be able to run at all much above idle.

I don't know much about the newer engines, but I'd suspect a bad sensor in the engine control system. Sorry I can't help more.

LEVE 04-18-2002 08:13 AM

RC, you'd best start learinging about fuel injection, its' circuits, sensors and how it works on your TJ.

Jim was right, it's not a restriction in the ruel supply line. Were that to be true the fuel restriction would cause problems ALL the time, and this ain't the case so you've got to look elsewhere.

You say that the problem is only when the engine's at idle, under load (in gear). That means that:

a. At idle it's OK.

b. Above idle, in and out of gear it's OK.

c. Only at idle, in gear does the engine lope.

Were this true there are three areas I'd look at, and in this order:

a. Idle control motor faulty. It may not be reacting fast enough under an excellerated load. It may, however, be acting just fine on decelleration.

b. The MAP/MAF (I'm not sure which it has) sensor detects the load on the engine. If this is flakey it can give this symptom. Normally it's going to be bad in other areas as well.

C. TPS sensor. Thiis sensor may be flakey as well. It's very subject to water damage and moisture. If you've ever sprayed down your engine to clean it, you've likely damaged the TPS. Again this would be normally be bad under load or not, but the sensor may be skipping past the bad spot "faster" when not under load.

Check out these items.. and come back with more information for us...but leave that fuel delivery system alone!

HuskyJeep 04-18-2002 12:39 PM

I have that exact same problem in my '84 CJ-7 I haven't really looking it over yet but can't figure out what it might be. any ideas for me?
CHad

WILL 04-18-2002 01:35 PM

I wonder if this guy is reading the replies.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 01:41 PM

My 89 has an idling problem most of the time. I've adjusted timing and mixtures to produce best results, but there's still a problem. In my case, the carb (Carter BBD) has a few vaccuum leaks where the linkage's run horizontally through the carb. It's a little loose, and I know it's the problem. Just old and worn out. I haven't gotten to replacing it yet though. Most every problem is different, and I'm sure yours is too, but thought this might give you something else to look at.

Jesse

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 08:07 PM

Here's an Idea....

Turn the key on-off-on-off-on and watch the check engine light....count the flashes and get a code book, that will usually tell you your problem...

gotta love OBDII!

-remy

Olin18 04-18-2002 08:17 PM

that on off thing is the coolest with the TJ's. Does anyone know if there is a similur system for the YJs?

**DONOTDELETE** 04-18-2002 08:54 PM

Eveyone....thanks for all the info...i will post what it was when i find it..

thanks again