Semi O/T Need info on Ford F600 4X4. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Semi O/T Need info on Ford F600 4X4.

There is a Ford F600 4X4 buy my house for sale. The trucks frame sits about chest high to me and has Rockwells front and rear with huge wheels, too many lugs to count. I did a search on the BBS, Yahoo etc. and found nothing so I am turning to my fellow Jeepers, I know one of you have some links.

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 11:59 PM

Re: Semi O/T Need info on Ford F600 4X4.

Back when we owned our own equipment shop, we worked on a couple of these, plus a couple of big chevy 2-3 ton 4x4s for the local power company. They were used for doing line maintanence in some of the out of the way places (remember, this is Alaska). I can't really tell you too much about them other than they exist. Engine and such was standard ford. We got other drivetrain parts from heavy equipment suppliers. Try calling the local ford dealer with the year of the rig and they may be able to give you more info about the given rig.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 06:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You are stretching me a bit here![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I THINK what you saw was an F-600 Ferd with the Marmon-Harrington aftermarket FWD conversion. The quantities on rigs like that are so low that the auto mfg's send the 2WD std trucks out to a job shop and the shop does the FWD conversion. This is real common in power company line trucks. I do believe, however, that in later years some of the mfg's went to doing it themselves; I THINK International Harvester does it themselves now.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There was an interesting article in this last months FOURWHEELER Magazine that showed a Model T with a FWD conversion that was built in the late teens and early 1920's. The builder tried to interest Ford Motor Co in the idea of doing conversions but they poo-pood the idea, only to go to Marmon-Harrington by the thirties and forties for exactly the same thing. When I wuz a kid and workin' in a wrecking yard we got in a few trucks with the MH conversion. Some were sort of an abortion since they were "conversions" and were, in fact, not as well "integrated" as were the GI trucks we had on our ranch at the time. A 2-1/2T GMC army 6 X 6 truck was not a heck of a lot higher.....maybe a foot at the most.....than it's 2WD cousins, whereas many MH conversions were two feet higher! I even knew a few guys who set a civilian cab on a GI 6 X 6 chassis and made a nice rig out of it.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a '56 Ford F-600 sitting in my driveway right now (brother in-law's truck). It's completely stock, and frame sits about waist high at the most. Standard 5 lug wheels, 2-speed rear, 5-speed shift, 300's small block V8 Ford. I've fouund some articles about it in mags, and searches and such. Like CJDave said, the 4wd conversions were not done by Ford. Sorry, I don't have any links to help you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 10:28 AM
Official Historian

In your driveway and no pictures?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea, well, no digital camera, and you know. Someday I'll have to borrow one and snap some shots of my "toys".
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 07:51 AM
utahjeepr

I have seen the Ford F-600/700 4wd trucks on construction sites usually they were older. I had no idea they were "aftermarket" but I know you could order them that way from the dealer. The international 4700 series and the Freightliner buisiness class FL-60/70 trucks are available with 4wd. The freightliners are said (by freightliner) to be factory installed with 4wd covered by manufacturer's warranty.

I've been toying with the idea of a "class C" motorhome built on a 4wd FL-70 or 4700 chassis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode