OT BBQ/smoker design plans? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

OT BBQ/smoker design plans?

I want to build a smoker, and need some ideas, why do some have a seperate chamber for the wood box?

is there some secret ratio for proper convection or air flow, like the exhaust is xtimes the adjustable input?

any links picstures, descriptions, whatever is welcomed!

My freind has one, and he always hosts our monthly poker games, and we want to build a better one, so we dont have to spend half of the evening fueling/adjusting the darn thing!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 05:15 PM

Re: OT BBQ/smoker design plans?

One reason for the separate fire box is to eliminate the grease fire flair ups that can occure with the fire box directly under the smoke box. As to the air flow or convection I can't tell you about that.
GP'n
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

I didnt realize that the firebox would proivide enough heat on its own to actually cook meat in a seperate chamber, but after reading some on smokeys site I see that it will, but it takes a long time to heat up.

I realize now that I must have the firebox seperate, for the reasons you state!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 07:48 PM

My girlfriends grampa has a place up in the mountains on a river. He has a smoker built into the ground, it is great. 15 min after the fish are caught they are on the smoker.

he has a fire chamber/place burried in a ledge so the door opens but behind the door, the fire box is burried with a pice of stove pipe running a foot back under ground then up into a big tall wood box, with about 5 mesh racks going up. Works great, tastes great.

I would just build a box and racks, then get a old small fire place and attach it to the box with stove pie. Then smoke away.

Great way to cook.

I would not worry about the desighn to much, dont think you can screw it up to bad.

Tony
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 09:33 PM
Aprentice

I've heard that the brisket and ribs guys like to find an old refrigerator, build a separate firebox and stove pipe the smoke and heat in low with a vent pipe higher up. You need to find an older one with metal interior. They're insulated to hold heat, the door seals well, and the racks are already there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Old_Fart

Ozark,

Two pretty good books, "Sublime Smoke" by Jamison and "The Grilling Encyclopedia" by Sinnes. Smoking cooks with heat and flavors/cures with the smoke.

The Grilling Encyclopedia has a pretty good section on smoking, probably not worth buying if you can borrow, as it's mostly devoted to grilling (or what Yankee's call "BBQ" - NOT!)

Google search should give you a few plans

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/smokehouses.html

I've seen some that use a 30 gallon oil drum, but haven't made my own yet. Have 2 smokers (cold and charcoal/water), plus three "BBQ's" already!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:30 AM

Get a current copy of Chili Pepper Magazine (http://www.usubscribe.com/order.cfm?...epper+magazine) and check out their coverage on BBQ. Each issue they talk ribs, recipes, and techniques and frequently have articles highlighting equipment. For what its worth.... the best smoker I've ever had the pleasure of watching work was an old fridge. Awesome!!

BTW if you get the magazine, the beer can chicken is fantastic... did that one last night!

Jeepsteve
74 CJ5
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

lets make it clicky for ease of use <a target="_blank" href=http://www.usubscribe.com/order.cfm?FID=2056&amp;TID=10096&amp;gtse=GOTO&amp ;KW=chili+pepper+magazine>http://www.usubscribe.com/order.cfm?FID=2056&amp;TID=10096&amp;gtse=GOTO&amp ;KW=chili+pepper+magazine</a> [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

kerryp
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks guys!

thos elinks will keep my sketching and reading for a while!

I need something a littel more asthetically pleasing than an old frig in teh backyard! , My wife would have a cow, but it would look right at home next to the CJ tub.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 06:23 PM

If you have the money get a Brinkmann smoker.www.thebrinkmanncorp.com. I have the small smoker/grill and I love it. The big ones are 1/4" steel plate and have a 75 year warranty!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode