Ripped Sidewall repair - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ripped Sidewall repair

I just ripped the sidewall on a 35 SSR. What I want to know is has anyone repaired something like this? I am picking up a new one, but I'd like to keep this as a spare. Maybe patch it from inside, and run a tube? Does anyone have any experiance with this? Any recomendations on where to look for a tube and or patch kit? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 08:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ripped Sidewall repair

Sidewall tears on SSRs are common. But, as I recall from a couple years ago, both H8Monday and JEEPN have repaired torn sidewalls on them. I recall JEEPN using a couple patches in and out and lots of glue, Jeff used a bolt too if I remember correctly. Maybe someone can remember more.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 09:42 AM
Official Historian

Enter this in the search: rip sidewall ssr

Choose all posts and you'll get back about 10 matches that cover this very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 10:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tried it, something funny going on here. All I got for answers was your post! Itried it for all posts, all forums. Maybe you could point me in a better direction. thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

There are some places mostly Big Rig Tire shops that will have your tire re-vulcanized. This will fix sidewall tears. I doubt there are any guarantees, but it would work well for a spare. Call around and ask to local farm tire or big rig tire dealers and ask about re-vulcanizing you SSr.

Later,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you put that phrase in, choose the "And" search option. This will give you the results that WILL is talking about... Bret
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 11:49 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I patched a bias Swamper and 3-4 BFG MT's on the sidewall, all but one held, but the one that didn't was because the person putting it on missed the hole on the inside.

I used some NAPA Super Strength glue (not their regular glue), some 2 ply patches, and an angle grinder. Get the inside and outside ground down very well, and apply the glue, let it get tacky. Then I put the inside patch on and rubbed it in hard using a ridged wheel (one for putting patches on), making sure to remove any air pockets. Then I did the same for the outside. I patched my Swamper on the bead as well, and after a year of wheeling hard at 4-6 psi, it's still holding air. It looks a little beat up in the pic (and you can see the tear under the patch), but it works fine and I'm going to rip the outside patch off and redo it. I do not run a tube as I couldn't find one that size up here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode