Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Fixing hard top around the hinges (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/116303-fixing-hard-top-around-hinges.html)

57cj5 04-17-2002 07:46 AM

Fixing hard top around the hinges

I took the top off the Jeep last night and decided to fix the liftgate hinges. As I lifted the gate, the hinge must have hung up because instead of it hinging, it broke out the fiberglass. I've worked with fiberglass for years, but I was wondering if anyone has done this fix before. I thought about cutting the other side out and glassing in hard points on both sides and just bolting straight through to the inside. It would be easier than trying to restore the original set up becasue I can't get in to the back side to glass. Any thoughts?

thanks,

Jud

LEVE 04-17-2002 08:34 AM

Re: Fixing hard top around the hinges

The work you do will depend on how you want the finished job to look. There's enough room to glass in a drilled and threaded 3/16" plate as re-inforcement. That should offer plenty of strength.

Otherwise, then I'd:

1. Take a piece of 3/16" plate the full length of the back of the Hard Top
2. Cut and shaped to fit.
3. Then drill it at the Hinge points and six 1/8" attachment holes around the edges.
4. Weld nuts to the Hard Top Side of the plate.
6. Drill recess holes into the hardtop for the nuts.
7. Mount the plate with the hinge bolts.
8. Align the plate and tighten the bolts.
9. Drill the 1/8" mating holes throught the inside hard top fiberglass layer.
10. Pop rivet the plate in place.
11. Paint the plate to your satisifaction or glass over if you wish.

Bald_One 04-17-2002 10:41 AM

If it's on a 7 you could just buy my wrangler hard top and swap lift gates... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

57cj5 04-17-2002 10:45 AM

How much is that going to run me? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bald_One 04-17-2002 11:34 AM

Make me an offer... I might be able to meet part way to save shipping... I have it advertised for $600, but I'm somewhat flexible. It does have one small crack above the liftgate, in the corner, that should be easily repaired if you want, (I just noticed it when I took it off last weekend)

Bald_One 04-17-2002 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of it on my jeep, Unfortunately it's not the greatest pic....