3' or 4' Firestik? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

3\' or 4\' Firestik?

im placing my final order on a cb kit and im planning on mounting it over the passenger side brake light. should i go with the 3 or 4 foot firestik in this location? pics would be nice too. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 06:00 PM

Re: 3\' or 4\' Firestik?

i've got a 4' radio shack fiberglass whip mounted above the pass side break light bloted to the body just about up to the rail for the soft top, it sticks about a foot in the air or so.

BarrelRoll
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 06:43 PM
Joker2002

I'd go with the 4'. The more clearance above the top of the Jeep the better. Actually, this is the setup I am going to be running. My parts are already on the way. It will give my antenna a lot of open space to pick up signals.

Mount/Coax:
http://www.alfenterprises.com/wilson_fiberglass_antennas.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went with the 3' in the same location. The opinion at the radio shop was that although more height is usually needed to at least clear the roof, with the fiberglass top or soft top, it really didn't matter if the firestick cleared the top or not. For me, I wheel in a lot of trees so I went with the shorted one so it wouldn't get as badly caught up. Just get it tuned once it's installed. There are a lot of good CB tips at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.can4x4.com>www.can4x4.com</a>.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 07:36 AM
Old Hand

Colby,
I bought an elcheapo Radio Shack fiberglass antenna (it was about as thick as my pinky finger) mounted to my spare tire stopper and tore it off in the woods trying to get ahead of a stuck truck to give him a pull.
So I bought the 5/8ths wave Firestick it's 5' long and as thick as my thumb and sticks up over my roof by about 2' it's been in the same location as the first one and I've had no trouble with it. The Fire Stick is the toughest fiberglass antenna I've ever seen. The only time I've had to worry about it's height is when I put her in the garage,don't want to tear up the sofet (SP?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode