Anyone swapped in a 5.0 w/AODE tranny? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Anyone swapped in a 5.0 w/AODE tranny?

I'm looking to drop in a 5.0 and prefer to use an overdrive auto. Anyone done this and what were your issues concerning the length of this swap? The AODE is 4" longer than my current tranny and the whole mess is looking to live in a CJ-7. If you've got any wisdom to share I'd love to hear it. Replies here are great for everyone's benefit but a cc to my email address would be outstanding. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone swapped in a 5.0 w/AODE tranny?

If you do this, make SURE you've got an AODE and not the crappy ford Metric transmission that often came behind 5.0s. The Metric looks different, and has metric stamped into the trans pan--but often the pans were replaced and I know of at least one very unhappy fella who swapped a 5.0 into his car without realizing he had brought a Metric along with. The metric is much weaker and has different gear ratios (and not nearly as many performance parts available).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I've never heard of a "metric" version, or seen it referenced anywhere. All I've seen are the AOD, the later AODE, the later still model called the 4R70W, and some misc. wide ratio versions of the earlier models. I'll defintely cover my butt on this when it comes down to the nitty gritty though. Thanks for the heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 01:42 AM

So you are concidering the 5.0 swap?...Even thought the AOD is 4" longer than the current trans, if you are replacing the inline 6(258), you can move the engine forward to compensate. The 5.0 liter is a good deal shorter than the 4.2 and with a cj7 engine compartment being(about) the same size as one on a wrangler I can tell you for sure that there is plenty of room. I gained 9" inches of rear driveshaft going from a 258/peugot/np231 to a 5.0/t-18/np205 by mounting my motor farther forward.

Are you planning to buy the adapters to mate an AOD to your stock transfercase(I'm assuming a 300)? Or are you upgrading to a different transfercase?

As for the difference between an AOD and a 4R70W...The older transmissions suffered from eradic shifts and hunting between gears. The newer trannys were computer controlled and not as easily swapable. If this is a mostly trail driven machine, that will spend most of its time in 1st gear, an ordinary AOD is the way to go with a few upgrades(that any reputable trans shop will know).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Actually Jimmy at this point there's not much "considering" to be done. I've already got the 5.0, the computer, all the wiring for the engine, wiring between engine and computer, sensors, brackets, etc. The only wiring and sensors I don't have are the oxygen sensors in the exhaust and the electrical between the tranny and the rest of the system. I do intend to keep the d-300 at this point. I had wondered about shifting the motor forward but was hoping to keep that portion pretty much "bolt in" with the use of off the shelf available motor mounts ala M.O.R.E. With that said though, if I have to shift it I will, I just prefer not to. As far as the tranny goes, I'd like to stick with an OD model if possible. I'm not real big on trailer queens so this will see plenty of street use. Actually, it's my DD (by choice. I can't keep my butt out of it). The OD will let me run a bit bigger tire, with a bit lower gear, be able to pull my M416, and still give me decent mileage at highway speeds. Right now I'm running 33's and crank pretty close to 3k at 65. Just a tad on the high side when it comes to getting decent fuel mileage. I've spoken with a few different hi-perf. tranny shops and told them what I have and what I want to accomplish. They don't envision any problems with wiring or computer issues. Time will tell. Btw, do you have a write up on the swap you did?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

BTT one time.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 03:54 PM

I never got around to writing anything up, I was kind of in a rush to finish the truck and only snapped a few photos. I was really happy with the results though(so much tourque, so little traction) and hope it works out as well for you.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Broken parts: I hear that. I've got a 60/44 combo that will shortly follow the 5.0. I'm REALLY getting itchy to get started on this but I've got a couple other rebuilds I need to get done first. The one project costs me money, the other two should make some. Good sense dictates which ones get done first. DAMN I hate good sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode