Have you ever seen a CJ7 with a 502 V8?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Have you ever seen a CJ7 with a 502 V8??????

We were playing in the mud last weekend and this dually truck towed in a big jeep on a trailer. Had a big lift, wide boggers in the rear, skinny boggers in the front. looked pretty darn mean. Well he let the jeep sit on the trailer for an hour. Everyone was playing in the mud hole churning it all up. Then finally this jeep was pulled off the trailer and started to drive around, drive around wouldnt even be the term.I mean her flew around. I have never seen a CJ go that fast in dirt before, or on the road. The dual exhaust let out in front of the rear wheels. the outlet was so big i could put my leg in there. So he started to make so mud runs. Flinging dirt bout 50 feet in the air. After getting it warmed up he tried to the big mean hole. This hole swallowed all of the quad runner guys that entered. Full size trucks sank up to the doors in it. Well he got his start to the hole and gunned it Mud flew everywhere and when he hit the hole it looked like it just exploded. Well he got stuck. Then he got yanked out and he did it again. Same result. That is when i walked over to him and asked what is in the jeep. "502" he said. He asked if he can be in the jeep club. I told him to just come on by. Well he tried to get through the hole 3 more times, each time unable to get through.The hole was real deep and real small, so when he hits it he just digs deeper because the walls are so steep. I was impressed even though the jeep got stuck. That was the healthiest jeep i have ever seen. And he ran that blue gas. Another person told me that who has seen him out there before. Well it is possible with a shoehorn to put a 502 in your jeep guys!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Take a look at the pic.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa jeepers" member
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 746581-502Jeep.jpg (53.5 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 09:09 AM
Nickmil

Re: Have you ever seen a CJ7 with a 502 V8??????

Yup,
A local guy here has a shortfender CJ-6 ('71 and older) with a 506 Cadillac motor in it (modified 500). Talk about needing a shoehorn and some grease! Works pretty good though and very healthy. He uses Diesel stacks for side pipes. Nickmil.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:19 AM

i think the 502's are a modified Chevy Big Block (Merlin Motor). so, since a 454 will fit in a jeep...the 502 should too. hopefully, he beefed up the frame...matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:18 PM

Well, there is that Wrangler with the 8.0L V-10 Viper Motor in it.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A 502 may have been a Merlin engine at one time, but now you can get one straight from the factory as a crate engine. It's basically a big displacement Chevy big block.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 11:07 PM

I'm sorry, but when someone says Merlin I think Rolls-Royce V-1650 Merlin. Somehow I don't think I'll be seeing a 1650 CID V-12 out of a P-51 in a Jeep anytime soon!

*grin*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 747419-jeepp51.jpg (57.8 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Official Historian

502 is also a factory crate engine.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 09:07 AM
Nickmil

I can still remember the sound of the Allison V-12's they used to run in the Unlimited Hydroplanes. My uncle was director of Rescue for the Columbia Cup in Tri-Cities, Washington. He used to get us pit passes. Got to meet a whole bunch of drivers and pit crews. To hear one of those supercharged, open-headered giants screaming across the water at well over 120 mph is something that never leaves you once you hear it. Nickmil
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Mud in my Veins

There used to be a farmer that ran the local pulling circuit here with a V12 Allison. The "Udder Machine" was burning alcohol and by the end of a full pull, the stacks would be glowing cherry red. Your right about the sound of a V12 running at redline, something you'll never forget [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img].

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

can i fit one of those in my jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode