post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

great article! good advice for us all

Off-Road Tech:
Tire Pressure:
What Works, What Doesn't and Why
By Rick "Super Hunky" Siemen

http://www.off-road.com/ford/tech/pressure.html

here are so great quotes:

- "Radials are the only way to go for serious off-road use. I have never - REPEAT NEVER - seen a really good non-radial tire for off-road work."

swampers? bias ply, must be crappy tires! not good for "serious" off road use, stick to your BFG all terrain radials

- "If you're running monster sized tires, like 44 inch Gumbo Mudders, there's no reason for you to air down in the first place."
Air down a big tire, no way! run that thing at 40 psi

- "On rocky terrain, like the Mint 400, I always ran maximum pressure."
But of course, why would you air down for the rocks, no way!, definetly save the low pressure driving for the street.

- "On hard-packed dirt roads, the A/Ts hook up much better than the M/Ts, and you can ACTUALLY hear them squeal when you're sliding on adobe surfaces"
You can hear them squel. Oh sh*t, you better return them right away!

That was a great article, what is he smoking. And the lesson of the day is, there are no good non radial off road tires, ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT

-Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 02:35 AM

Re: great article! good advice for us all

somebody better tell caterpillar!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 03:18 AM
BMF

Other than a few remarks its an OK article in my opinion. On hard packed dirt roads I definitely feel that my BFG AT's work better that my BFG MT's. But your right some remarks are funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 09:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've learned not to trust "instinct" when it comes to tires.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] What you thing ISN'T is......and what you think IS usually isn't.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Tire technology is real voodoo and the people who develop tires have everything they need to figure it out.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] My first shock was using Voit Super-Soft racing SLICKS on a dirt track and watching our modified drive RIGHT BY the racers who were running big meatballs; and my next shock was using the then "new" Goodyear Wrangler radials in snow...."How does it DO that?"[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] When I saw a picture of H8monday's rock crawler Jeep grabbing a large boulder like a giant "hand" where the tread folded itself around the rock, I knew that tire technology had definitely "found" itself in the rocks off-road.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Something you've got to realize about Super Hunky, he's a desert racer (older racer riding in the vintage bike class now), not a rock crawler. All of his advice in this article is geared towards desert runners and mud runners, not crawling around on rocks or trails. You've never heard of Super Hunky before? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode