On Honeymoon... Mexico jeep adventure - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

On Honeymoon... Mexico jeep adventure

Went on my honeymoon cruise. Just relaxing and eating and sitting by the pool getting sunburned. Me and the new jeepshick Wife looking at the brocures for excursions onshore. We come upon Cozumel offroad JEEP adventure. Looking at the borchure showing jeeps going through water up to the doors. Everything was a jeep wrangler and JEEP was used throughout the brochure. Funniest thing about it was the quote, "Experience the thrill of getting rescued if you get stuck!" That should have warned forwarned me. But nonetheless we decided to go do it. Hell it wasnt our jeep so we can really PLAY with it. So we pay the money $279, alot of money, so we didnt go on any other trips while on the cruise. Well we get to Cozumel, the last stop on our cruise. We find the people leading the excursion, get signed and and walk over to the "JEEPS" Well low and behold there are two neat rows of GEO TRACKERS!!!!! I was just furious. I asked the guy where the JEEPS were, he said that the earlier group took them all. Well there was one wrangler there, and i asked if we could drive that one. They said it wasnt working right and the lead guy was using it. Jeep chicktold him to his face that we are not riding in GEO TRACKERS and we want our money back. So he said fine and apologized and we walked back to the ship. In the parking lot was a CJ7 with 31's and rusty, but i was tempted to hot wire it and go with them. It was funny how all the other people on the excursion didnt notice that they advertised JEEPS. Damn if i am going to pay $279 for a GEO TRACKER. Well we got our money back and laid out on the ship. I am now so happy i married her. She went up to the plate and called the guy on it that they were not JEEPS, I sure got a cool jeep chick. So if anyone goes on a cruise to Cozumel Mexico dont go on the 4WD Jeep Adventure, or at least try earlier in the morning. You might just get a rude awakening. I guess they can fool some people, but not us.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 12:19 AM
Veteran

Re: On Honeymoon... Mexico jeep adventure

Thanks for the advice, I am going on a Mexico cruise this weekend.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 08:31 AM
Can't Get Enough

Thanks, I'm in the midst of planning a trip to cozumel or cancun right now, but its good to know that there is an option for a Jeep excursion while I'm there, although I don't kow if I'm wuilling to spend 279, that could go into my jeep here and hopefully get it on the road.

kerryp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dan,

We went on the same cruise and you KNOW what I had my heart set on. Unfortunately, jeepchick has her own vice - horses. So we ended up on the horseback ride instead of the Jeep ride. Some people we met on the cruise said they did the Jeep ride (with real jeeps, although they're complete stockers with little bald baby tires) and it was awesome! Man was I upset.

So to compensate jeepchick rented us a TJ to drive around the island. That poor thing was 1/2 dead. Anyway, we take of around the island (at the southern tip there's a really cool bar that not many people know about, although you can't miss it). A couple miles past the bar we pull over for a picture of us, the ocean and the Jeep. Jeepchick says "pull over by that rock." Three feet later we're entirely stuck in the sand. I attempt to put it in 4wd, but the F*CKERS HAD WELDED A STEEL PLATE AROUND THE T-CASE LINKAGE! Getting stuck in a rental car in Mexico with no phone is NOT by idea of fun. About the time I was sweating bullets thinking of me and Poncho the Love Cookie in some Mexican jail, I was getting ready to let all the air out the tires when some Americans pull up and offer to help. Sweeeeeet. So me and three guys pushed while jeepchick bailed the clutch in reverse and we were saved!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 09:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Your new Jeepchick is a perfect life-mate for you. almost six years ago I found a superjeepchick too. Made 72K, loved jeeps and guns, shot in the eighties......could I possibly ASK for any more?[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

We really wanted to go, and really play with thier jeeps, heck they arent ours [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]. The price was a little steep but everything involved with it was nice, like seeing some ruins and getting to lounge at a little private beach.
Getting stuck away from civilization in a foreign country would not be fun. I really didnt like mexico because everyone wanted to sell me crap, but that is what i get for being in a tourist port. I really am going to try to learn spanish. Being in SW florida it is going to be really helpful to know the language, because the spanish speaking population is booming so everything is becoming dual language, Signs and such. Given I thought we lived in america, but that is a total O/T post that I dont feel like initiating [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
That really sucks that they welded the shifter, but then again the rental company arnt idiots either. I am glad you got out. The horses would be real cool also. I havnt ridden one sincei was 5. So lets say i would not know what to do right now with a horse.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa JeeperS" member
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:11 AM

Sounds like my trip to Cuba. We went on a "Jeep Safari". The jeeps turned out to be Suzuki somethings and our spare tires turned out to be flats! Virtually every vehicles spare turned out to be a flat when someone did need one! Toured countryside dirt roads. Never left the roads once, nor needed four wheel drive. Seen a few Willy's jeeps in Havana though. I chalk it all up to the carnival sideshow mentality of tourist traps. You got to have your sense of humour and enjoy what life brings you. They did take us to some really cool caves to go diving in. Clear water like you wouldn't believe. It was like looking down into the coolant tank in a nuclear reactor, kinda greeny blue tinge.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah Dave,
She is a great chick. She knows the difference betwwen each of the different jeep models. And she is trying to teach the other girls she works with. Come on down boys... my jeep chick is helping create new educated jeep chicks for the masses [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
I will soon be getting her her own pistol the next time we get a little cash, probably when i start selling some jeep parts. She does like shooting. Very good catch for me. I finally decided that she put up with enough of my crap that I should keep her. They are out there... just have to look for em.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 11:54 AM
Robert87yj

Funny,
my wife and I almost chose that one, but didn't because I bought her a nice neclace to suprise her with. Also, after talking to some of the crew we also found out that not all are jeeps on the jeep rides. We chose to go to the Myan Ruins that were on the beach. The "reconstructed ruins" weren't that great, but the beach was awsome and breathtaking. Then on the way back we had lunch on the tour bus with as much cervesa as I could drink. But the food on the cruise is the best.

Which cruise line did you go with?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

We went on the Grand Princess. Now that is a big boat. I am a land lubber and I havnt been off the east coast of the U.S. This was a first for me. We did the 7 dya eastern carribbean trip. We hit Princess Cays (bahamas), Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. My favorite was Grand Cayman. I really could hang out there, but it is expensive. Me and the wife went over to the Hard Rock there and had a beer each and shared their BBQ pork sandwich and the total bill was $45 american!!! Talk about sticker shock. I liked to look at all the cool import vehicles the U.S. doesnt get. The food on the boat was so good. I agree. I had to pace myself so i didnt gorge myself everyday. Next time we go I want the 5 day. the 7 was OK but i got stir crazy towards the end. Being on the ship there is only so much you can do. I have a nice tan though. The cruise is very weird. On every beahc went went to, it was like being at home here in florida. Our water is definately not that clear, but i just looked down the beach and thought this was the same thing i have at home. And another wierd thing is seeing a bunch of cruise ships all docked at the same location. So many huge ships in one space is amazing. I am not used to anything bigger than 30 foot, so it was amazing and sort of unreal to see them together.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers' member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode