AMC 20 HD? 1 piece shafts? for a CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

AMC 20 HD? 1 piece shafts? for a CJ

AMC 20 HD? 1 piece shafts?

I have posted similar posts about htis in the past but never found out what I wanted to know.

Here is the deal. I have a 79 CJ5 that I am about to drop a 360 into. The problem is I have the AMC 20 in the rear with the weak 2 piece shafts. Everyone tells me that they are going to give out soon under the stress of a 360.

I also have a 80 cherokee parts rig. It has the model 20 HD version under it. It is to wide for me to swap the entire thing, and different bolt pattern. But I have heard that it is supposidly HD because it has 1 piece axle shafts and heavier duty tubes.

So I am wondering about the strength of these axles shafts. How do they compare to the after market 1 piece shafts out their?
Would it be possible for me to take them out and get them cut down to fit in my CJ model 20? If so how much would this cost and who would I have do it?

I am sure that they wont be as strong as the aftermarket shafts but, I am on a limited budget and every dollar saved is a plus. I don't do any severe rock crawling, mostly mud. So I dont think that they will need to be extra strong, these might just be strong enough to get me by.

what do you think. Am I just a cheep fool who should spring for a set of 1 piece shafts?

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: AMC 20 HD? 1 piece shafts? for a CJ

I don't know about the fool part, but it will cost about $100 to get Moser to cut the shafts down.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If your only doing mud and sand, just tighten the nuts on the two piece axles while hitting the flange in. I ran my two piece shafts for two years in the mud and sand and never had a problem. But i kept retorqueing them. The only reason i still dont have them is i went to a 9in rear. Even if you did spin a hub most of the time it will hold together good enough to get you home. And if it doesnt just tighten down the nut some more until you do get home. When the do finally break just upgrade to a set of one piece axles then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

how strong are these model 20 HD axle shafts is it worth the time and money? how strong are they in comparison to the 2 piece stock shaft, what about the 1 piece after market sets??

thanks
Tony
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:02 PM

Ive heard of guys wrunnign htem welded with 38" tires, V8 in a wagoneer, BUT I cant imagine they are nearly strong enough tot be reliable like that.

In my opinion it isnt worth the money spent to shorten the HD20 shafts, just get a whole new rear axle if your talking about going over $100.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

38s? and a 360 wow! So you are saying they are strong enough for 33s and a 360?

Also, I have thought of an axle swap but I cant find a way to do it for a sane amount of money.
I would need the CJ bolt pattern, 3.54 gears, narrow track width.

I have yet to come across anything that meets those guidlines. But by all means let me know if I am overlooking something. I want to keep this cheap so I cant swap gears or get a new axle cut down, or get a new front axle with the same width.
If I am missing something please help, an axle swap would be idea, but how cheap could I do it for?

thanks
Tony
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

BTT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 06:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been using a HD AMC 20 from an 82 Waggie for about 3 years and have no problems. Ii put this in when I put a 79 Waggie Dana 44 under the front. Both are uncut and 6 lug pattern, which means I have to carry my own spare tire.

The CJ axle tubes have a smaller diameter and are prone to bending. The HD tubes are the size of a Dana 44. I run a Detroit soft locker in the rear with 4.10 gears, 52:1 overall low gearing and 33" Swamper TSLs. I have not had any problems and would built this way again, no complaints.

It's not worth having these shafts cut down and redrilled for a 5 bolt pattern, you'll still have the small tubes. If you want to keep your CJ AMC 20, get some Moser shafts.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 07:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

the HD amc20 one pieces are certainly stronger than the two pieces. couldn't say if they are stronger than aftermarket. When you do decide to go One piece, call Morris 4x4 center down in Florida, OmixAda One Pieces, $180, with Timkens, and all the kit you need. I just installled mine and they are very good quality.

Brent
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

wow $180 what a deal. You say they are good quality? Do they have a warranty? What about a phone number for them.

cutting and redrilling definetly not worth $180 bucks!

thanks very much
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode