gripe with VIP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

gripe with VIP

Well here is my latest VIP story.
I went into VIP this morning to have my rims swapped on the jeep. I said to him can you guys mount 38" tires? "Yes we can", directly above him is a sign that says mount and dismount, 4.99.

I go pick the jeep up, the bill is 50 bucks. I pay it and leave, I go home and just for the fun of it call theanother VIP store in a nearby town. He says 5 bucks even if it is a 38. I go back to my local VIP. So I am like arent you supposed to call me if it is more? he tell me no we dont have. Ok well, the Bangor store said 5 bucks a tire just like it says right here, then the guy gets pissed and is like "well we dont work for free" And I told him what his sign said (says nothing about size), that no one told me it would be more, and that maybe all the stores should have the same price and view on things. Eventually he refunded me, and the kicker is the moron who did the refund screwed up and gave me back 30 dollars instead of 25.

Anyways does it ven take longer to just mount tires of different sizes? I could see balancing, but mounting?

regardless to say I think i riled them all up pretty good and I dont think I am welcome back there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Old Hand

Re: gripe with VIP

at the tire store i worked at it was the same price no matter what, the only difference in a big tire is that it is heavier to lift up (obviously).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Nickmil

What the heck is VIP?
Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 07:23 PM
BMB
Veteran

Isn't it that cheesy PI show with Pam Anderson Lee whoever in it. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

BMB
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:15 PM

I used to work at VIP in Milford, NH and can honestly say that 99% of the retards they hire know nothing about anything. More money to mount 38s? Nope. I used to mount 44" Boggers all day long for the standard price. I would call their home office and complain. Their number is (207) 784-5423. I can almost gaurantee you that if you call, they'll give you some free stuff.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen that most VIP stores aren't consistant with the others. What one tells you will likely be different from another. I went to Ellswoth to buy an engine lift on sale for $200. I found that they were out of them, so I went to Brewer. They tried to sell it to me for $250, and didn't know about any sale. I argued with them, and did win, but like you said, you've got to stay on top of them. I don't care for any of the cheap parts stores around the area (VIP, AutoZone, etc). They mostly hire students who don't know what they're looking at.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 08:25 PM
brendan

I LOVE VIP!! Now, there is a place where you are guaranteed a good time. racks upon racks of chrome wire holders, valve covers you name it. Just like the state fair, there's a wheel of fortune! it's called the parts desk! Pay your money, and you take your chance. will it fit? will it break? will they have it at the warehouse? will they make you pay for it before ordering it even though there's a 5-7% chance that they will order the correct item? OOH, and the mud flaps! not to mention the cross section of society for the discerning people watcher!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm... I've had the (dis)pleasure of doing business with VIP in NH. Now that I'm down here in FL, the local chain down here isn't any better (maybe worse) Discount Auto Parts... oh boy whoopie...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brendan, thanks for the laugh.....

Rkcrawl....where in FL? Alec78CJ, FlMudCj, and I all used to work together at the Discount in daytona beach. FlMudCj still works there. He knows whats going on, and so does the assistant manager there...but at other stores, you need to check for a pulse.

The company was run VERY POORLY, and treated employees like poo. Thats the reason I left. They DONT pay well, NO benefits, almost no paid holidays, working sundays...blah, blah, blah...a union could have really helped them out...but anyway...Advance bought them out, so hopefully things will improve. Its all economics...you arent going to get Aaron (TeamRush) to work for you for $5.15 an hour. They arent willing to pay their employees...so they get, for the most part, people with little or no automotive knowledge...

-remy
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:19 AM
Nickmil

Yeah Remy,
I've heard those stories and know they're true. When I was going to College there was a Schuck's that opened up within walking distance from my house. I thought I'd apply for an evening position. Didn't mind low pay, just needed extra money for insurance, gas, books, the usual. I took all their BS Psychological tests with good scoring, had excellent references, had excellent work history, etc. etc. They wouldn't hire me. Said I was "overqualified". I actually KNEW something about cars and they didn't like it. I think the manager was afraid because I had more knowledge of cars than he did. Just goes to show the mentality of the "discount" parts houses. It worked out though, I went to work wrenching on cars doing minor repairs in the evenings and was a much better education. Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode