Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Replaced the pcv valve with a filter... (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/116000-replaced-pcv-valve-filter.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 04-15-2002 11:42 AM

Replaced the pcv valve with a filter...

Talked to a guy this weekend that has the same weber/258 setup as i do but he has almost every wire and vaccuum hose disconnected(except the "important" ones). Looked under his hood and he had a filter plugged into the front hole on his valve cover (where the pcv valve was)and one inline with the hose connecting to the carb on the rear breather of the valve cover. His engine ran fine when he started it up. I set mine up the same way (but I have the wires and hoses connected) and it idles a lot lower than it did before...around 200 rpm(not 2000)instead of 950 where it was before. When I connect it up normally, it runs back up to 950. Has anyone done this or seen this done that could give me a little help? Or do any of yall see a problem to this? My valve cover has been pushing smoke out of those holes and oil would eventually accumulate, going directly to the intake manifold, through the carb. That's my problem I'm trying to "help." Thanks alot
Tim

webjeep 04-15-2002 09:17 PM

Re: Replaced the pcv valve with a filter...

I still have my pcv, but have a breather on the rear hole (doesn't feel like there is any vacuum on the pcv line though ???) but at any rate i have been getting a bit of smoke and oil accumulation as well. never had this problem with my other cj's, been wondering whats making it do this (i'm having to put oil in regularly, it blows a good bit)

web

**DONOTDELETE** 04-15-2002 09:59 PM

Re: Replaced the pcv valve with a filter...

Tim-

In the "old" days, motors did not have a PVC valve, just a filter in the valve cover similar to what you have done. The gases from the block were vented through an opening in the side of the oil pan. This was a bad thing for mother earth as all that oil that now ends up in your air filter from blow by would just fall on the ground and the gases from hot oil and combustion would end up in the air adding to the smog problem.

I would think that your idle problem stems from a vacuum problem as you have altered how much (or how easy) air now gets into the intake manifold. (The PVC valve restricts the air flow.)

Good Luck!
Kriss