OT - i have too much extra CB antenna coax - help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:57 AM
Joker2002

OT - i have too much extra CB antenna coax - help

I know that some of you Jeepers out there are CB people, so maybe you can help me out with this problem.

I ordered a kit (antenna, coax, mounting bracket) that came with 18 ft of coax cable. However, for my application I will be needing MUCH less than that (probably around 6 or 7 feet). Is it ok to cut and splice (solder) the coax, or should you just figure out a way to wrap all 18 ft of it around the inside of your cabin? I've heard that making a loop (spool) might be an easy way to deal with it, but that it is bad because it causes signal backup or something like that. What is the best way for me to deal with so much coax?

PS: In case it matters, I'm running the antenna on my hood, so the coax will be entering my cabin through the firewall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:59 AM

Re: OT - i have too much extra CB antenna coax - help

The only way to splice it is by putting new connectors on it and using a coupler. Just cut it at the length you want and solder a new connector on. Radio Shack. Or if you're cheap like me you can unsolder the old connector and reuse it. Unless it's crimped on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Can't Get Enough

the search is working again, here's what I found:
<a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadjeepshort&amp;N umber=701000&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&am p;vc=1>http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadjeepshort&amp;N umber=701000&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&am p;vc=1</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 12:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 18 feet is approximately 1/2 wavelength (not including the veolcity factor of the coax cable) What this means is it is easy to check the SWR at the back of the radio, rather than ideally at the antenna feed point (the mount).

What this means to you is get you SWR set, then cut the coax to length, and solder/crimp on another end.

If you plan on leaving the extra length DO NOT coil it up. This creates a field and will introduce noise. Run it in a random configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode