super swamper thornbirds - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 02:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

super swamper thornbirds

hey guys.. i was just wondering what the word on the new thornbirds is.. i hear that up to 35"s they're ok, but anything bigger are crap.. what do you guys think..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 03:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: super swamper thornbirds

never really heard anything good about thornbirds. To me they seem to be a street tire with side lugs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 03:14 AM

I dont know about any new thornbirds, must not have seen them yet. But I am still a firm believer that they are crap! I do have a buddy who ran the 31x?(maybe 12.50 or 13.50) on his old straight axle yota with a pumped up 22r (how pumped can a 4 banger be? ha) and he loved them. I will give it to him on that, when those tires were about 15% tread they were absolutte animals on the beach. That thing was a sand machine. When they were new they did okay in some muddy ruts that the side tread could grab. In deep mud they cake up and dont clean, on rocks they spin. I am not a fan of the thorn bird. Worst interco tire ever built except maybe some of those new models, I guess they look cool though, if thats what you are after.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:20 AM

Check out this post on the topic of "StuckBirds"
<a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadchevstandar d&amp;Number=454450&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&am p;o=>http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadchevstandar d&amp;Number=454450&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&am p;o=</a>
I also haven't seen any info on a new and improved Tbird, but I don't think you can polish that turd enough to make it decent.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:23 AM
madmaxx

If you are looking for a set, I have a set of 4 35-14.50x15 that I need to sell. It seems that everyone hates these tires especially the people who have never ran them. I never had any trouble with mine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that this is a great tire, but I think that it's an OK tire. I would also agree that it is that it is not the best tire that Interco makes, but look what you are comparing them to: the super swamper, one of the best off-road tires on the market, and the boggers, the most aggressive tire on the market. My biggest complaint was that if the tire had any air in it at all, it would not flex. I think the side wall on the tire must be a good inch thick. Anyway, I'm selling mine because I moved up to 40" boggers. The tire have at least 95% tread left and are in good condition. I'm asking $550 for the set. e-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested.
Thanks
Maxx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 745544-Dsc00008.jpg (60.4 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Everything I have heard about the thorbirds have been negative. But my freind who has them gets through everything he plays in. He has a set of 33's on his 80 CJ7 with a 4 banger and he plays very very hard in the mud and he really holds his own. I would think they would gum up with mud fairly quickly, but his cleans pretty good.This may be a anomoly, but I have witnessed them in action.
Take a look at the new swamper LTB tires out. I just got a pair of 34x10.50 for my CJ5 and they are awesome. I got to put them to use yesterday and they did excellent. I atill am in the testing stage. The price of them was the biggest selling point. I got them for $113 from tyres int'l. Total shipped to my office was $538.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

I have a set of Thornbirds, and can say with complete and total confidence THEY ARE THE BIGGEST PIECES OF CRAP I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!! They vibrate, shimmy, and couldnt claw thier way out of a wet paper bag! I could live with vibration, but they take it to the extreme. I can deal with shimmy, but when it feels like the front axle is unbolted, thats bad! I could live with this IF they could get any kind of traction. In the mud or snow, you would be better off with BFG's. On rocks, kiss those knarly looking sidelugs goodbye-they are weak! In my opinion, for the money, good ol' Swampers or SX's would be a better choice.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 08:33 PM

Well, I applaud you for having the guts to stand up and admit you bought a crappy set of tires!
take it from the horse's mouth!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have never owned a set, but have seem them in action many times, very unimpressive tire, don't seem to do well in any conditions. It has been my opinion for quite some time that Interco originally marketed them as a mean joke, and they were as surprised as everyone when people started buying them. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:12 PM
Old Hand

I've seen quite a few people on the internet dissing the Thornbirds. If you say they suck, are you comparing then to another Swamper (which is designed to be more aggressive off-road), or another all-terrain tire, like a BFG A/T or some other brand..?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode