Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Wandering CJ? Help needed (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/115944-wandering-cj-help-needed.html)

Leigh_Smith 04-15-2002 06:00 PM

Re: Wandering CJ? Help needed

I was told if my wheels have any toe out they will follow any crack in the road. I turned the tie rods in some and the difference was profound! Might not be perfectly aligned now but my old cj is beyond the help of any alignment shop.

MuddyCJ 04-15-2002 06:21 PM

I too was having a wandering problem on my 79 CJ7. I originally set the toe-in 1/4 inch on recommendation of a front end mechanic. No shop in my little town can do the front end with 35 inch tires. I had the front end out installing a Detroit and set the toe-in 1/2 inch when I re-installed everything. I drove about 5 miles on the highway before I realized my knuckles weren't white and I could relax my death grip on the steering wheel. The jeep is actually fun to drive now.

Jeepzilla 04-15-2002 07:08 PM

Tony
I have a very similar setup same as you . I have replaced everything up front , tie rod ends , all that stuff . I have the HD 1/2 " rise shackles from 4WD HARDWRE .Mine did do some wandering on the road . Saturday I got my new PWR steering box put in and WOWSERS what big difference Tony . Solid feel and more stable . Feels like I added 10 steering stabilizers . My .02 .

Jeff

tonyscj5 04-15-2002 07:10 PM

yeah could be.

When I first bought the jeep it wondered bad, then I tightened down the steering box and it was safe to drive agian.

thanks
Tony

**DONOTDELETE** 04-15-2002 07:10 PM

Remy Dodge's post as well as the one I'm responding to are excellent. One thing I'd ad though is to take a look at the spring plates. Chances are if it's an old Jeep, one of them can be cracked and cause a whole host of problems.

WILL 04-16-2002 10:14 AM

inverse tangent or inverse sine?? It seems that that would get me two different numbers?
----------------------------------------------

If you are in the range of a few degrees, they will be close to each other. For example, 3" of additional shackle over a 36" spring will be the same angle to one decimal place which is about as accurate as you can set it to.