Fixing rust spot - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Fixing rust spot

I have a fairly major rust spot in my jeeps front fender. I live on the coast of california so rust is a problem and I dont want this to get out of hand. I about every other old vehicle around here has some major rust damage.

The rust spot is about a 5" diameter circle on the flat part of the front fender, the area behind the wheel opening.

I am wondering how to fix it. Should I grind the rust out and weld a new piece of metal on behind then fill it up to the level of the fender. Or shoudl I try to cut a piece to fit the hole and weld it flush then grind the welds down level with the fender?

Any advice will help, never done a lot of body work but dont want to pay some one else to do it.

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 11:47 PM

Re: Fixing rust spot

You can do it either way, but remember that thick layers of bondo crack out easily. A lower fender relacement panel only runs about $40-50, and replaces the original section, so no big problem. Heck a whole fender is only about $150. If it was me, I'd replace the lower rear section and then repaint the fender. Just my two cents.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

yeah I forgot about those fender sections. How are they connected? Are they spot welded together? If so how can I reconnect them together, tack welds?

Might go that route, or might give the grinder/welder/bondo a try? I guess I dont want to end up painting it twice. Thansk for the input.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

Rust is a naturally occurring process. Let it happen. Be one with Mother Nature. Time is on your side. Just wait for the right moment. Then rip that sob off and go fiberglass young man. Don't forget stainless steel everything else.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:45 AM
Way Outta Control

I agree, replace both fenders with fiberglass! You'll never have to worry about rust again.

Oh, just as an aside... I've been looking into the galvanizing process and found something that surprised me...

The process is sacrifical, that is it's coated with zinc and rust is going to attach the zinc clad first. Once it's done with the zinc, well it's the metal next. Most car companies when they zinc coat a peice of metal figure it's good only for about seven years till it starts to rust away and the zinc is history. That was quite a rude awakening for me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

That is new to me also about galzanizing. Very odd, we only buy galvanized boat trailers around here and they seem to last forever. The steel trailers rust out in about two years, just can take a good dip in the pacific ocean.

About the fiberglass, I really dont want to spen $200 on fixing that spot now, maybe in the future. I once was looking at a old CJ for sale that had a rusted fenders and dented up hood. I asked the guy if he evr thought about replacing hte fenders and hood with fiberglass. He said yes, at one time he bought one of those one piece front wraps the fold up and forward, the entire unit fenders grill and hood. He never got around to installing it so he sold it to a friend who installed it. He said his buddy cracked it to bits while paying on the rocks. When his frame flexed it cracked the body. That is why he never bought anymore fiberglass.

any thoughts on that, or is it just the one piece lift up front wraps that are no good, or is the guy full of BS?

Tony
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 03:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

I saw one of the front end tilt up jobs that J.C. Whitney sold years ago. It was really thin maybe 3/8 and looked like crap. There were places in the fiberglass underside that looked like dirt dobber nests. I have also seen the Aj's (Aj's used to make 4wd hardwares dunno if they still do) and the HumJ7 front ends and both of those looked quality and were really heavy duty. Guess you get what you pay for. I had some fiberglass fenders and they were tough and thick (Aj's).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

I just went down to the "jeep shop" and looked at my fenders to see about the rust. It is on the piece in the rear of the fender that looks like it can be replaced. How is this pice removed? Is it spot welded on? It also looks like before the previous owner painted it he didn't do much prep, because the rust is starting to come through in those seems so it may be a good time to sand blast and re paint the fenders.

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode