Fiberglass tub?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Fiberglass tub??

It has become apparent that I'm going to have to replace my tub. I've been looking at the one from 4WD. I have a couple of questions that I hope to get some help with. First, any reccomendations? Tubs to buy/ to avoid? How much weight will I save by doing the all body parts in glass? Any general pros and cons would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fiberglass tub??

You want recommendations? Stay away from fiberglass. I hate it. Its a bitch to drill...all the dust all over everything and in your lungs...and if you nudge a rock or anyhting else with it....forget it...replacement time...you cant just hammer it back out! I like steel. If the original tub lasted 20+ years...then next one will last longer if you keep it painted....or get a galvanized wrangler tub.....that will last forver with minimal maintenances!

-remy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 02:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I agree with Remy. Fiberglass seems like a good solution, but then you have to figure in all the special adapters and what not to get it mounted and to mount stuff to it. Then, on top of that, you have to worry about hitting something with it. Sure you can patch it, but that's some WORK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:23 AM
Can't Get Enough

I highly recommend fiberglass. I have a 4WDH tub, fenders, and hood. Everything is very thick and sturdy. It used to be a lot of work cutting and drilling the tub for all the stuff to mount on it, but I think that I saw in the new catalog that the tubs come predrilled for everything (I could be wrong). The only damage that I have is from a golf ball size rock that got kicked up by a passing car that hit the front fender. It bounced off the fender with enough force that it almost hit the car in front of me. It left a small spider web mark with a little layer of 'glass missing. Easily fixed if I wanted to do it, but I haven't. There are many others on this board that have fiberglass bodies. I thik that they will also tell you the same, that they are happy with them. 4WDH and AJ's both make quality stuff. These are the only two namebrands that I have seen first hand.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:40 AM
Way Outta Control

I've done both.. metal and fiberglass. IMHO... I LOVE fiberglass. It's easy to work with, patchable, drillable, paintable, etc..

I have the 4WDH tub. I bought it used and it's working out great.

I can't find the downside except electrical. You need to use a good grounding bus on the tub to ground the lights, the dash, blower motor, etct. too. It's the one item most Jeepers overlook when they switch tubs... and then can't figure out why nothing electrical works.

I whole heartedly recommend a fiberglass tub.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm running a 4WDH Glass tub, hood, fenders, windshield, and It has it's Pluses and minuses over steel. Easy to work with, Lighter weight, no rust, not electro conductive. Cons, Not electroconductive, weaker, cracks and shatters as apposed to denting.

you can reinforce the Glass where needed. It's all opinionated. Can't say I have made up my mind on which I prefer yet. but I don't have any problems withthe glass.

Brent
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:04 AM

I also have the 4WD tub, and I LOVE it. I have been running it for over 4 years, and it's holding up very well. If you live in the rust belt, it is a great solution. There are some drawbacks, as mentioned above, but nothing thousands of people haven't already done. The most vunerable spots are the rocker panels and the rear corners. I addressed this with corner guards and 1/4" rocker panels, and haven't had problems with durability.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:47 AM
Pooh-Bah

I really like my 4WDH 'glass tub as well, I have rocker guards that I can lift the side of the Jeep with and don't hear any cracking, corner guards that I have hit just as hard as my steel tub and no problems. We were in Elbe awhile back, and everyone went thru a section that you slide a bit to the side and smacked a tree behind the door opening, I came out okay, the steel tubs had some dents that had to be pushed out.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know if the weight loss will be noticible with the 258?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 02:54 PM
Can't Get Enough

I've never weighed my CJ7, but a friend says that his CJ7 with a AJ's body is a little less than 3000# and that's with a 350 for a engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode