4 inch Rides like a buckboard - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4 inch Rides like a buckboard

I recently purchased a rolled 86cj7 for salvage price(only the top and windsheild frame were bad), and it apparently has 4 inches under it with heckathorn shocks. The problem is it bounces horrible and has almost no articulation, causing wheelspin in SLIGHT off-camber position. Is this normal in a lifted CJ7? or is there something I can do to help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4 inch Rides like a buckboard

I would say its the type of springs on it. I had 4inch BDS springs on my cj and it was bouncy but it had pretty good articulation.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sounds like you have terrible springs... ride in a cj with skyjacker 4" springs or anything quality and you'll see why they cost more..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you sure its not a 2 1/2" lift with an add a leaf. Even my stiff Pro-comp springs still articulate well. But I ran an add a leaf for a short time several years ago, you couldn't get that sucker to bend (it was the short, thick kind).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not exactly sure how much or what kind of lift it is, all I know for sure is that there are poly bushings and no visible add a leaf so I assumed they were complete spring packs and not just an add a leaf. As for how much lift it has new 33" swamper TSL's on it so I assumed 4". The front sway bar is still attached so that hurts the articulation, but it just seems stiff overall; is it possible that the shocks are to short,long, or just plain wrong?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that's a Rough Country lift, do you wonder why it's called Rough now? these are really cheap lifts, about the same ride as ProComp, get some sway-bar disco's and see if that helps any. I had a friend with a CJ-5 and a 2.5 in Rough Country lift, that thing was all over the road if you hit a big bump!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can second that. I had a rough country 3" lift on my Toyota. It cam with heckethorn shock and man was that a hard ride. I did everything I could to soften it up. The only thing that i came up with was to sell it and buy a Jeep.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check all the suspension bolts, particularly the shackles....if they are too tight, they will bind the poly bushings, reducing articulation and increasing harsh ride....

Or you could get some hefty inlaws to ride around everywhere you go.....

-remy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:10 AM

I waited a year for my new Rancho lift to soften up- it never did so I removed the smallest leaf from all 4 spring packs and it helped soften the ride alot.
I still gave in and later swapped to Skyjacker springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode