Fuel Tank /Filling er up!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fuel Tank /Filling er up!!!

I just bought my first Jeep. It is a 77 CJ7 and I have some questions. The first one that is a significant one to me is. I was driving the Jeep home and had to fill the gas tank up. The cap is on the rear on the right corner. I noticed that when putting the gas nozzle into it, I had to slowly squeeze the handle and it took forever due to the nozzle shutting off constantly. Does anyone know how I can fix the problem so that the nozzle will go in and fill the tank quickly without going crazy? I appreciate your help with this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 05:19 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Fuel Tank /Filling er up!!!

Welcome to the CJ Club Dillpickle . I find with my 79 that if the tank gets really empty this happens . I try and leave some in the tank and if I do get this , I only put the nozzle in just past the restrictor , then slowly at first , then I squeeze the nozzle about 3/4 for the rest of the fill .Wow , almost sounds erotic [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] . I know 77 was a different venting system than mine so maybe someone with an older CJ may be of more help . How`s the accuracy of your gauge/sending unit ? Mine goes to like 3/4 tank when full and thats it . I dont know whether its the sender or the gauge .

Jeff

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 06:10 PM

I have a YJ, and to fill it full bore I have to put the noxle in, make a 1/4" twist so the trigger is facing the pump (left side fill) and then go..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 06:16 PM

Ya , dats wat ya git fur havin a new modern Jeep [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Same as above combined. I have a 73 and I pump slow at first with a twist to the left. You'll find what works best for you. Be careful of overflow when experimenting. You'll get used to the sound when it's just about full. BTW mine reads 3/4 when full also.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 07:49 PM
Leigh_Smith

Try taking your filler hose off and see if it is colllapsed inside. Mine was and It took forever to fill. Cj's just seem to be naturally slow to fill.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:07 PM

Ya I forgot about that . Listen for the girgling , if your not quick , splash !!! All over the place [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Good point Jon

Jeff
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I wouldn't call a YJ modern. It's still quite a pain to fill up. Only real difference is that the filler is on the left instead of the right like the CJ's. My old '76 CJ-7 took about 10 minutes to fill up cause it would keep shutting off. What a PITA!!! I never did figure out how to fill it right. I also didn't fill it up very many times before I sold it. You might consider moving the filler onto the side of the body like the TJ's. You could even use the CJ style filler. Just need some longer hoses.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an 80 and some times it will fill right up with no problems and yet other times it's a PITA.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 11:18 PM
glennCJ7

It's been so long since I filled mine up I forgot about that. It will take even longer now I put in a 20 gallon plastic tank, at least the hoses are in good codition. Hope to get it running in the next couple weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode