What transmission should I use????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What transmission should I use?????

To all the knowing:
The issue is, what auto transmission should I use with my CJ7 304. TH350, Th400, 7004 ??? I have no idea on which one to choose or to pick another one. I have no idea on pros and cons on any of these. The previous owner put a auto 904 to the 304V8 pretty stupided to my understanding. But it is hooked up to a dana 300 transfercase. I really need a new tranny and have low on cash to spend. So a little information would be greatly appreciated.

Not the old and not so wise: Jeep76
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 10:55 AM

Re: What transmission should I use?????

They are all good tranies, it just depends on your usage and general requirements. For specific gearing specs try searching on Yahoo or something. Generally though the th400 is much stronger than the th350, but it is longer. Neither of them have the overdrive that the 700r4 has, but then you'll have to work out a lock up for the torque converter (since you won't have the ecm to control it, there are kits available to do this, most hot-rod shops can get them for you) Running a 700r4 without locking the converter in O.D. tends over heat the fluid and destroy things. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Next problem is adapters... Jeep originally ran a th400 behind the 304 in the late '70's if you can get one of those you'll only have to adapt it to your t-case, otherwise you'll need bellhousing and t-case adapters. Finally with any of these swaps you'll more than likely need to change driveshaft lengths. Any qualified driveline shop can do this for you for around $50-$100 per shaft.

Personally I love my 700r4, but they are much more expensive than the 350 or 400's. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

That probably didn't answer your questions, but it might give you some idea of where to go, otherwise try searching on here, I'm sure this topic has been covered before. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You probably have a 999 behind the 304. That was the stock auto for cj's with the d300 tcase. The adapter for the chevy trans to a 300 is big bucks. The torque flight 999 is a tuff tranny and as strong as a t 350. The t400 is just to long for my taste. I have run my 999 for two years now. I had it gone through when i did the vent relocate and they only replaced one part. I gave it 3 drinks of water and it still just kept going even after everyone told be it would die fast. So dont be afriad of using another torque flight tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm with Pontiac...Stick with the Torqueflites....but thena again....I'm kinda biased...being a Mopar guy and all! No doubt about it though...the TFs are GREAT 3 speed autos...from the venerable TF-727 that LIVED behind 426 Hemi's and 440 Wedges in 6000+pound cars up to the current 900 series...

-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode