Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Whew! Went to an auction...wot a trip! (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/115846-whew-went-auction-wot-trip.html)

CJDave 04-14-2002 05:23 AM

Whew! Went to an auction...wot a trip!

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here in the Midwest, auctions are a way of life, but being from CA I'm inexperienced since they are quite rare out there on the jest coast. I went to the sale yesterday to buy a set of acetylene torch tanks, a plasma cutter, and possibly a chain saw that wuz on the list, and came back with a pickup full of stuff no plasma cutter, and no tanks![img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I had to learn how to get the auctioneers' attention and to bid without letting everyone know I'm bidding, and I missed buying a couple of things I wanted (a Milwaukee air conditioning vacuum pump[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]),because of my inexperience.[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] The plasma cutter brought nearly "new" price, a Miller 200 wire welder just like mine went for well over a thousand dollars, and the torch, tanks, and cart brought $350. The torch was a little cheapie. I ended up buying the chain saw[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] a 12" contractor grade DeWalt radial arm saw,[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] a couple of Milwaukee drills, an electric planer, a Rigid pipe cutter, an almost FULL tank of Freon-22, and other misc. items too numerous to mention.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jeepchick and I had a great time.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The next auction is for Jeepchick; maybe an estate sale kind of event; something with some antiques perhaps; Vickie was SO GOOD about standing around all day and making a zillion trips to the pickup hauling the stuff away as I bought it.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Wot a trip![img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

pontiac58 04-14-2002 08:40 AM

Re: Whew! Went to an auction...wot a trip!

Auctions can be a good time and a place to get some good deals. But like you said about the plasma cutter why do prices sometimes go for almost the cost of a new one. I could never understand that.

LEVE 04-14-2002 08:55 AM

Just don't ever go to a "bankruptcy" sale of a farm.... where Shylock is extracting his pound of flesh... that's bad form in Iowa. Keep a look out for a cheap set of tanks for LEVE too!

Dirt Dog 04-14-2002 09:00 AM

Agree'd Dave. You never know what the prices will be. I watch guys pay more than retail all the time. The key is always knowing exactly what somethings worth. I like to go with my boss to them. He will pay whatever it takes to get something...............sometime just because he didn't like the other guy.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] He's not the poorest guy in town either.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Infernozx 04-14-2002 10:23 AM

I was going to head down to the "local" (2 hr away) Po-Lice auction on the 20th of this month..

They claim to have 500 Bicycles, 70 Jewlrey lots and then 50 Miscilanious..

I can't find a list anywhere, and I'm kind of skeptical driving 2 hours each way staying in town for a weekend if there's going to be nothing good..

I read last years aution list on the interweb.. fist 30 items on the list were welders.. I got all excited..

hmm.. what to do, what to do..

jps4ever 04-14-2002 11:22 AM

CJDave, we were the same way when we moved from Kalif to Texas/Oklahoma. I was shocked at the prices and have a good time going. Even find a jeep item once in a great while. It just kills me: We have a gas can with a hole in it, a smashed wicker basket and a phone that don't work, WHAT WILL YA GIVE??? Everything sells no matter what!!!

thorjeep 04-14-2002 01:03 PM

Dave,
We have completely done our house in antiques, all from auction. Antiques, unlike other auctions, have a emotional quality about them. Since the pieces are something you cannot buy new, and you will never see again. So, if you don't get it there, you can't go to a store and pick it up for a higher price.

That said, make sure you and Jeepchick have more than enough time to preview all items. On the list they give you, mark at least 3 catagories you will use: Very Cheap (Is junk, but usable), Can do without (Price is a big factor) and Want. Make sure you set a ceiling for #2 and #3, beleive me, in the bidding process you and JeepChick can get carried away easily (That is what they want). Your perceptions of value change while on the bidding floor. Don't bid on pieces you haven't seen (Sometimes they hide nice-looking junk) unless it is at a price you are willing to throw away on chance.
I am not a antique expert, I just know what it is worth by it's construction, finish and of course, looks. I use my antiques, not collect them.

All that said [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] it is a lot of fun, and you can get some grat deals especially on rainy or crappy days becouse no one shows up [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

CJDave 04-14-2002 11:34 PM

[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] My most recent acquisition in the antique/interior decor category is a row of "Corn Liquor" jugs; you know the ones, light brown on the bottom with a fired dark brown top. The kind you see Lem and Caleb sipping corn wiskey from.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] My jug collection goes from the large (about a foot high) to dinky ones about 4" high. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] We are searching for an antique desk set telephone circa 1940 give or take; the one that was made like the candlestick phone on the base but with a receiver tree and a receiver that weighed about twelve pounds.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Junk Yard Genius 04-15-2002 01:30 AM

If you do attend a bankruptcy sale, (and you won't know until you get there, they don't advertise that fact) and you get the chance to buy something for cheap... It's not good form...

I've bought stuff for $1 or $5 at sales that should have gone for large cash, and I've returned them to the family they are liquidating...
Everyone has to know what's going on, or some cabbage head will bid the crap out of something, in which case, don't bid at all...

In my estimation, it's blood money of the worst kind with a 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation family gets sacked...
Especially when the corporate farms get carried on bank credit every year... And drive the family farm under.

I buy boxes of household goods, furniture that looks like it might be something handed down in the family, and return it...
Everyone knows what is going on, so in some cases we can get it pretty cheap.
I try and make a point of returning $100 or $200 (what ever the budget for the weekend fun was) worth of stuff at everyone one of the liquidation sales.

There will always be the vultures...
You know, the guys that go there just to stick a fork in the heart of the people that used to be neighbors, and try and steal something.
And the tractors and large hardware are going to be snapped up by dealers from out of the area, so that is out of the question...

We used to have a very rich old man around here,(found oil and coal under his 'worthless' land) and he would buy the farms back for cheap (no one would bid against him), and let the families buy them back on contract.
No one would make the families a loan after a bankruptcy, but it didn't stop that old man.
He died a few years back, and his son is allowing the families to pay when they can...
But he's not buying anymore like his dad did...

A local boy, John Mellencamp (John Cougar to you 80's stoners), is a big family farm booster, and he's bailed out several farmers around here.
It's a rare thing when someone obscenely rich actually makes the effort to practice what he preaches.
I can't afford to buy, and then return a $100,000 piece of land to the family, but he does it on a very regular basis, and never asks for a second of publicity for it.
The least I can do is throw a couple of hundred dollars towards the family that has just had to watch everything go at auction....

I can't even imagine what that is like....

CJDave 04-15-2002 07:12 AM

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You have to have lived the farm economy to really appreciate what it's like to make payments on a tractor year after year. A lot of our payments were single payment.....once a year...after we got done harvesting, and you KNEW if you didn't do well, that payment would take all the money and there would be nothing left to live on. I make Vickie watch the movie: "Country" with Jessica Lange periodically because it is SO DARN TRUE; it's the equity thing; one day the bank can loan against your equity and the next day they won't. There's nothing worse than being rich in land and yet not having enough cash on hand to put tires on the truck.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Land-rich; cash-poor; isn't that the way it so often is in farming. Been thar....done thet.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]