EBAY, bulk sale of surplus 8.8 axles - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 06:51 PM

Re: EBAY, bulk sale of surplus 8.8 axles

wrong bolt pattern for a CJ [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

There goes that. I guess it is back to trying to beef up the AMC 20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 06:59 PM

Everyone runs adapter/spacers with them. I ran mine with an adapter to go to 5 on 5 1/2". Ran it for 3 years, to hell and back, never even the slightest whimper of a problem. Mine saw over 100 trips through all of the Johnson valley Trails, and most of you know how I treat my equiptment.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

a good friend actually broke his 8.8 at the clip with a bone stock 4.0 explorer 30" tires while towing a small single axle trailer. so, yes i have seen them break.
also, i have broken 2 R&P sets in my 10 bolt rear and no axles or clips. the R&P were stock GM 3.42s and i currently run Superior Axle & Gear 4.10s w/out a problem so far.

by the way, i wasnt bashing the 8.8 in my previous post. i believe i said it was a good unit except for the c-clip. if you were going to point out one weakness of the 8.8, what would it be? the bolt pattern? i think not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:44 PM

It must have been with a pre disc brake unit, because the discs dont even allow the axle to come out enough to put a strain on the 1/4" thic C clip, so no very little latteral load can even be exerted on it.
I have a freind who does fleet repairs for Ford trucks, and he has never seen a C clip fail, although he has shown me several cracked stock carriers from over abuse of the 1/2 tons being used as 1 tons. In my mind, and from my personal experience and observations, the weak spot is the stock carrier. The C clip I contend will never be an issue even running 38.5 SX tires, which is what I ran with mine. I would have to see one to believe it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode