making a kill switch what wire? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

making a kill switch what wire?

Hey all, I want to put a kill switch on my 85 cj7. I have done it before with my mustang, what I did, was put a toggle switch in the wire that was powered by the ign. switch to the silinod. preatty easy and works great. I want to do the same thing on my jeep, but I dont know which wire to hook to. thanks
surveyboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 02:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: making a kill switch what wire?

Do you have a Chiltons manual for your Jeep. It should have some pretty decent wiring digrams.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 03:04 AM

If you don't use the lighter(if you have one), set the wire from the ignition(off of the column) to the lighter positive side and out the negative side(make sure the lighter socket is not grounded) then to the ignition solenoid or starter "S" terminal. This way only you(and a few of us) Know that the lighter has to be pushed in to start the jeep.

Do you have the relay/solenoid mounted on the starter(like a chevy--all one peice) or is there a seperate relay on the firewall/fender(like a ford)?

If the relay and solenoid are on the starter, there willl be a thin wire on a terminal marked "S"(which is the one to put the kill switch in) or if the solenoid is on the fender(which it should be if you have a stock motor) there will still be a terminal maked "S"(for start). Just trace that wire back and you are all set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 12:14 PM

Attach to the negative side of your ignition coil, and run that wire through a switch.
When the coil is grounded, the engine will not start, it will crank (giving you notice someone is trying to steal your vehicle), but it won't start.
If they try for very long, it will run the battery down, and all chances of driving your Jeep away are gone...

I've never wired a starter solenoid through a cigarette lighter...
I'm not sure I'd trust a lighter socket with conducting well enough to use it.
Hiding a switch in there, Maybe...?

I've always used small switches, and placed them in strange places, like in screw holes, with the screw head glued to the switch, or a row of panel switches that have to be in a certain order to start the vehicle...

Lately, I heard of a rotary milti-position switch marked 'Speaker Selection'. It has several positions, but only one of them starts the vehicle.

I know a guy that wired his horn relay so you had to have the horn pressed in to start the vehicle (the LAST thing a thief is going to do is to blow the horn! Great idea!).
He also had the horn rigged so when the engine was cranked with out disarming his relay, the horn blew!
Pretty tricky if you ask me....

I know another guy that wired a relay to his park lights, the park lights have to be on to start the vehicle.
Same could be done with brake lights very easily, but lots of people hold the brakes when they start the vehicle...

I know one guy that wired his power antenna to a starter relay.
The power antenna had to be extended to start the vehicle, that meant turning the radio on before you turned the key to start...
If you turn the key to fast (and the radio antenna doesn't have time to extend) or you don't turn the radio on, you can't start the vehicle... The same with hot wiring the vehicle, and bypassing the accessory circuit the radio is on...

There are tons of ways to do this, if you come up with something tricky, let us know!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:50 AM
Nickmil

Another one that my coworker did was the switch for his power window lock out. Had to have the lock out on before the fuel pump relay would come on (Toyota Four Runner). Another one I just thought of is if you have a two speed wiper motor use a 3 speed switch so that could be an ignition feed. I personally have liked using the fuel pump relay method (if you have electric pump) because as TR says, it will crank and run the battery down but won't start.
Grounding the negative side of the ignition coil is also very effective. You can come right off the tach feed and do it with minimal wiring also. Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode