Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Auxilliary gas tank (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/115830-auxilliary-gas-tank.html)

Jim_Lou 04-13-2002 10:45 PM

Auxilliary gas tank

There's a fair amount of room between the rear driveshaft and the right frame rail on a CJ7. Anybody put an auxilliary gas tank in there? I'm thinking about making one out of 10 gauge cold rolled. Haven't figured out how to fill it yet.

87Warrior 04-14-2002 12:11 AM

Re: Auxilliary gas tank

You could get it in place then put a gas tank filler like on a TJ and place it in you side. Then you would need some sort of device to flip from one tank to another. What about the balance of weight?

Infernozx 04-14-2002 12:51 AM

Jerry Cans?

You cant fill a buddies car from an onboard fuel tank..

the balance of weight would be an issue.. If you think a bathtub about 7" deep weighs 200 extra pounds, a fuel tank is going to weigh atleast 50...

BMB 04-14-2002 06:05 PM

Jim,
Do you think you could use an electric fuel pump or something similiar plumbed in to both tanks and have it able to fill the auxillary tank and then when needed reverse flow to fill the main tank? Maybe just take out the float and install an extra pick up line on it and run it to the other tank with the pump in between.

BMB

Jim_Lou 04-14-2002 06:32 PM

A pump would be pretty slow to transfer. I've looked at it some more and think I could run a filler hose from the back, maybe above the stock filler. With a good vent hose it should fill pretty well.

Lots of pickup trucks use an electric valve that switches from tank to tank, and switches the gauge at the same time. The real question right now is whether somebody makes a tank, or if I have to make it myself.

There's a lot of room there; I think it would be easy to get about 7 gallons in, and more if I want to drop below the frame rails, which should be OK since the skidplate, driveshaft and differential are down there.

Keep the ideas coming. Especially if it's never been done before.

Jeepzilla 04-14-2002 08:14 PM

Hi Jim !!
Not saying you should do this but the first CJ I had back in the 80`s , the machinist I bought it from took out the seats and made a steel gas tank that went under the drivers seat , up over the hump and down under the pass seat . He made brackets on the tank and mounted the seats to them . It held a lot of fuel and had a switch like a Ford truck or whatever . I only used it on long trips cause I felt a little nervous sitting on top of 18 gallons of gas [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I figured it wasnt any worse than my 69 Chevy pickup .
Hey how`s the Stainless Steel coming along ??
Jeff

**DONOTDELETE** 04-14-2002 10:57 PM

Wouldn't it be much more expedient to increase the size of the stock tank? If you are able to fab that type of system, I think it would be better for you to make a new tank with increased capacity. It would have more capacity than an auxilary tank and would fit better. I have a "store bought" 21 gal. in mine and it works fine.

Jim_Lou 04-15-2002 08:11 AM

Jeff, my first Jeep, a '64 if I remember right, came from Toledo with the tank under the driver seat. I'm not crazy about having the stuff in the passenger compartment, though. That's why I like the space between the frame and driveshaft. It's protected from side impact by six inches of body, and then the frame. I can armor the bottom and sides as necessary.

As far as making a bigger tank to go in the stock location, I can't see a way of doing that without making it hang down lower. Am I missing something there?

A friend has a '7 with an aftermarket big tank. The ad for it said "Doesn't decrease ground clearance." When he got it he discovered that it still is higher than the bottom of the diff, so minimum ground clearance is unchanged, but it does hang down several inches lower than the stock tank. Fred, is that the case with yours? Where did you get it?

Stainless project is coming along. I've got the old and new bodies in the garage, and the chassis in the shop. Today I'm going to start stripping the chassis. Unless I design an aux gas tank first.

Jim

Jim_Lou 04-15-2002 04:08 PM

Well, after carefull consideration, I see why it's not a popular modification. If I stay higher than the skidplate, and below the top of the frame, there's only about 6.6 gallons there. I don't think that's enough to be worth the effort. Especially in view of the problems getting gasoline into it.

It's a good idea, but we ain't going to use it.