Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   How to remove plastic valve cover? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/115829-how-remove-plastic-valve-cover.html)

surveyboy 04-13-2002 10:35 PM

How to remove plastic valve cover?

Hey all,
I have been reading up on doing it, but I just am not sure on how the thing comes off. I am used to a couple of bolts and thats it. I don't know how this things attached. So, How do I remove it?
Thanks
surveyboy

bluseman2a 04-14-2002 12:13 AM

Re: How to remove plastic valve cover?

It's very straightforward. What you see is what you get. There are some bolts in plain sight along the passenger side. There are a couple of wide, collared hold-down nuts that ride on the head studs (note these are NOT the head nuts themselves). Lat but not least, there is one small bolt in the front and one small bolt in the rear (kind of hard to get at).

Failing that approach torch, grinder, welder, sawzall, hammer, etc will also work

surveyboy 04-14-2002 12:20 AM

oh, ok. that thing is so dirty that I didn't notice them. thanks.

I love that last part. A torch, grinder, welder, sawzall, hammer, etc will also work, MOST DEFINATLY

Dan 84 CJ-7 04-14-2002 01:01 AM

That bolt in the back can be a pain...I actually broke one of my plastic valve covers once because I didn't know that bolt was back there and I pried the cover off and CRACK...oops. $85 lesson. It's hard to get a socket on too if I remember correctly.

dschwab9 04-15-2002 06:27 PM

For the back bolt, I usually put a jack under the t-case and raise it just a little. That tilts the engine foward just enough to get a socket with a long extension back there.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-16-2002 10:37 AM

Save yourself future headaches with that back bolt. I took my bolt to the hardware store and found a 4" bolt the same size with only 1" of thread (3" of shoulder). I then put a nut on it and tightened it to the collar (use some threadlocker). Now, the head of the bolt is at the top of the cover and I don't have to go fishing for it.