sticky valve lifter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 08:59 PM
sas87yj

sticky valve lifter?

i think that's what it is. my 258 has a clicking like a sticky lifter. it's pretty loud and is getting worse. it has weird characteristics like it may be quiet when i first start it up cold but if i turn it right off and then re-start, it will chatter. then it will chatter for a long time while first driving and i can make it go away if i rev it up, but it will return.

i tried the auto tranny fluid trick but didn't help.

the engine runs great and has good compression.

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 09:50 PM

Re: sticky valve lifter?

I'm not one to push "wonder" fixes, but I have seen X1R do wonders for sticky lifter problems.If I hadn't seen it myself (several times) I would have never even mentioned it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 10:50 PM
sas87yj

X1R- never heard of it. i will look for it on the shelf. i'll give it a try. i would hate to pull the head and rebuild right now with it still running so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you're convinced its lifters that causes the noise, have you tried using synthetic oil? I switched to synthetic oil when a couple of my lifters got noisy. The noise has now gone. My engine had about 80,000 to 90,000 miles on it when I switched.

Ralph...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

After about 110,000 miles the weak stock lifters start to break down. the spring clip in the bottom becomes weak from heat and and not enough oil pressure to keep them pumped up and contamiation from the deposits in the oil. the only real solution is replacement. not a bad job or pleasent...you have to remove the head to replace lifters on a 258. You may want to consider changing the oil pump also...if the lifters are going..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 11:31 AM
sas87yj

no i've never run synthetic anything.
seems like too much $ and i have heard war stories about seals leaking when switching from conventional to synthetic.
i might throw some $ away on the X1R and then when that doesn't work i will pull the head like i know is the best thing anyway [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 11:35 AM
sas87yj

so the lifter is still working but is "sticking" meaning exactly what? i mean it has to lift the push rod enough to open the valves right? and if a valve didn't open i imagine something would have to give.

you are right- i will pull the head and have the valves ground or new valves and guides and the head re-faced.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 01:15 PM
sas87yj

X-1R ok,just found it at wally mart
$11.44

i assume this is the right [censored]- there was also the X-1R that goes in the fuel tank. this says "engine treatment concentrate".

better fuel economy
protects during cold starts
increases horsepower
increases engine life
reduces operating temperatures
reduces wear
reduces noise
blah, blah, blah [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"engine treatment lubricant"
made in USA- "certified space technology"
"proven at NASA"
FREE RACING DECAL INSIDE [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

somehow i feel like i just stepped down a few rungs on the braincell ladder but oh what the hell [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

i'll be eating my words if it were to work, and i wouldn't mind eating them if it did. here goes- gonna change the oil and dump the 8oz of magic juice in the engine. i just got back from a dusty trip to death valley so it is ready for the change.

later,steve
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 02:59 PM
35inchcj

it is my uneducated opinion that synthetic lubes do not actually cause leaks, but are of such a detergent qualitythat it cleans up all the sludge and crap that were holding back a potential leak, I had the same problem with a sticky lifter and a few synthetic changes later, it was to be never heard of again, I would agree synthetis is expensive, and if you run a lot of mud and water and suck this stuff into your diffs and tranny area it probably isn't worth it as you are changing so frequently anyhow,but I am a firm believer inhorsepower acheived through frictional losses,plus a little bit more gas mileage means more time to play before you have to head home. good luck with whatever route you choose.
Tom
86cj np435 msd'd hei mc2100 dual lockrites full cage
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 03:08 PM
sas87yj

well that logic seems believable about the synthetic.

i just shoved in the X-1R and took it around a few blocks. well, the noise is completely gone, i beat a cobra off the line at a light, hit 110 mph on the freeway and only used a quart of gas! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

this [censored] is GREAT [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode