Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   I cant believe i got all the roll bars bolts out. (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/115783-i-cant-believe-i-got-all-roll-bars-bolts-out.html)

pontiac58 04-13-2002 03:53 PM

I cant believe i got all the roll bars bolts out.

Since i am not going to the badlands bash i figured the cash i put away for the trip would go into the cage for the CJ. Well i started today just getting the torx bolts out. Well they all came out. I couldnt believe it. My buddy showed me a good trick and it worked on every one. First off of course pb blast the bolts. Second hit that torx driver into the bolt. Its amazing how much paint and crap is in those heads. Then just use the impact gun. Everyone came out that way and there back in for now. I anti-sieze them so they will come back out easy in a month or so. Well i just wanted to say i got lucky.

Infernozx 04-13-2002 05:59 PM

Re: I cant believe i got all the roll bars bolts out.

You do realise you just cursed yourself for bragging about it don't you?

I did the same on my rear seatbelts.. smack with the bit, then twist them out.

I bragged about it to one of my Jeep buddies.. ever since I've stripped every TORX...

It's the Jeep-Gods I tell ya!

Dirt Dog 04-13-2002 08:33 PM

Just did mine today Jim. Got about half of them out. The torch took care of the rest. I spent the rest of the day doing floor/rust repair under the cage mounts and L. rear body mount.(under the cage) Tomorrow..........is full cage time.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

jps4ever 04-14-2002 12:54 AM

I had to cut the last bolt on both side towards the rear on my 79 fender well mounted roll bar. Nothing would even come close to reaching in to get at them. I don't know how they got them in the first place. Its almost as if they bolted the flat stock to the wheelwell THEN welded the roll bar on over the bolts! Naw, AMC would never do anything like that!!!

jamgood96 04-14-2002 02:16 AM

You're not going to the badlands bash?! Why not?

When I removed my rollbar, I got all but one out. I had a friend weld a nut on it and it popped right out. The real sucky thing is, I snapped a bolt head off when I replaced them with hex bolts. DOH!!

Dirt Dog 04-14-2002 08:54 AM

Ricochet was driving and towing his jeep there and now has some issues that are not permitting him to make it. Pontiac was going as his passenger.

pontiac58 04-14-2002 08:59 AM

Im not going to the bash cause Kieth had some issues and i just dont feel like driving out there myself.

How the hell did you break the head off of a bolt like that. Wait let me guess 1/2 rachet on a 3/8 bolt.

Damnit Dave you beat me too it.

Bornjeeper1 04-14-2002 09:46 AM

I had the same problem when I removed my roll cage to herculiner the tub. You might want to just swap out the torx bolts for some grade-8 hex bolts that will be alot easier to remove in the future. Just my .02

Bill