Need Serious Help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Serious Help!!

I have an 80 cj7, the jeep came stock with a 4cyl and manual tranny. The jeep now has a 360 and a th400 tranny. The problem is I bought this jeep and have no clue what kind of vehicles the engine or tranny came out of. This is posing many problems. The first one is that I just replaced the tranny pan because the other one was worped and leaking. Well the new pan is deeper than the original and now the tranny skip plate does not fit back on. Is there and aftermarket pan I can get or maybe some kind of kit to lower the pan a little?? The other problem is that the stock speedometer cable won't connect to the transmission and not knowing where the tranny came from I don't know if an adapeter is available. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Serious Help!!

If its a 360 and a T-400...it could be from a Wagoneer. As far asthe tranny pan....you could try to find one in a junkyard....should be cheap...and T-400s are plentiful. If thats not and option...you coild install a transfer case lowering kit from any of the major suspension lif manufacturer's...but then you'd have to fab something to lift the tranny mount and torque arm up off the skidplate to clearance your tranny pan. Also...you're going to be losing ground clearance this way....I'd probably go with a junkyard pan if I were you...me? I'd yank that damn automatic out and put in a manual....but thats just me!

-remy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 09:09 PM
Official Historian

The TH400 was used in 76-79 CJ7's and full-size jeeps for most of the 70s. Also, it is a common trans in GM 3/4 and 1 tons. You might try a GM dealer but I have no idea how much it will cost.

As for the speedo cable, it hooks into the transfer case not the trans. (Unless someone made this a 2WD jeep)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 09:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

<font color=blue>"The TH400 was used in 76-79 CJ7's and full-size jeeps for most of the 70s. "</font color=blue>

No respect I tell ya![img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The TH400 was also came in the '66-'71 Jeepsters (could be the first year/Jeep with it?) and the '72-'73 Commandos. I'm guessing yours is from an early 70's Jtruck (same setup as Commandos w/o the 360[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]). Will's right on the speedo cable, it's on the drivers side of the transfer. Check to make sure the flat "bit" from the donors speedo cable (or crud in general) isn't stuck in the slot. Mine was packed up with something akin to coal when I tried to connect mine at first. Had to stick my head up there to see the blockage [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 09:55 PM
Bornjeeper1

If you still have the old tranny pan, just take it with you to a junkyard and match it up with another one.
Remy is right. 360 + t-400 = Wagoneer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode