Ways of removing a wheel lock nut without the key - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ways of removing a wheel lock nut without the key

Those people at Wal-Mart over torqued my tire nuts. I tried to get it out today and the wheel lock key got stripped and my tire x thing got stripped also. I tried a large vise grip but it keeps on slipping because the that locking nut is on very tight. What can I do? Do you think just drilling it out is good? It is made out of work hardened steel. I do not know what that means. Thank you for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 12:21 AM
Leigh_Smith

Re: Ways of removing a wheel lock nut without the key

Weld a nut to the end of it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Old Hand

i have hammered sockets on them, there is a reverse threaded socket that you can use also that works great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 12:40 AM

Mav's right. W/O spending big bucks on the "snap on" tools.............................
take a 12 point socket that is just a little small. Just enough so that it wants to start, but wont. Pound the crap out of it untill it bites into the wheel lock. Then impact it off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 03:39 AM

Go back to Wal-Mart and ask them to get it off.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 04:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I worked in a tire shop we had a set of toothed sockets that we used to get these off. Many people put them on and then loose the key. Any real tire place should be able to get it off for you, We never charged for this.

bandhmo
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 05:13 AM

when I bought my jeep it didn't come with the key for the wheel locks. "o yeah i forgot to tell you, I lost it!!!"
I went to one of those used tire places in the industial district. they banged one of those sockets with teeth onto it and used an impact wrench. $5 a wheel. $20 bucks total.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 05:16 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have had to do the same thing, and we did it just like Mav said, very easy and they came right off without a hassle.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have used a chissel and a small sledge that worked pretty good. Just start at the top and hit at a slight angle and it should start to move. If not, chissel a series of marks around it and then do socket thing.. Have you tried to take it back and have them do it, you never know!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 06:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] All RIGHT, ALRIGHT, ALLRIGHT!!!!![img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]What's WRONG with you guys!!!!????? If you were out in the boonies and away from tire shops, you wouldn't have those options, so let us SPEAK NO MORE of using the telephone or the credit card to solve this minor problem. He HAS the key.....it's just that he let Bozo use it without first admonishing BOZO about wrecking it. So here is what I did when I came upon a hapless motorist with this very same problem.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Now......pay attention......get that Kat off the keyboard......put down that coffee cup.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The guy I came upon had a 3/4T Suburban with leaf springs in the rear and had a rear flat with the stripped lock nut keeping him from changing it.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I threw a chain around the front half of the rear spring and hooked the chain in a loop. I stuck a long 2 X 4 through the chain loop. He put the key in the socket of my big four-way lug wrench and put it on the lock nut. I used the 2 X 4 as a second-class lever to put enourmous END-O pressure on the outer end of that four-way such that the worn out key COULD NOT POP OUT and slip.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] He had only to rotate the big four-way and unscrew the lock nut. END of problem.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] He drove it home with only seven lugs, but no big deal.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There.....see how easy that was![img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Now go and sin no more![img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode