Considering painting my jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Considering painting my jeep

Well since the new baby is almost here, that kind of put the kabosh on any real wheeling trips this year. So I figured why the hell not paint the rig. The tough choice is, what color, and should a do the durabak on the inside and rollbar????? I'm kind of fond of yellow and burgandy. Anybody ever see a burgandy cj? got any pics. This will be my first paint job that doesn't consist of a few cans of rustoleum. So if anybody has basically a break down of exactly what I will need as far as paint and chemicals, and any tips on doing it I would appreciate it. This will not be a show quality paint job, it's on a trail rig that sits in the garage most of the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:57 PM

Re: Considering painting my jeep

I painted mine last summer in the front yard . Borrowed my neighbor`s portable canopy thing and used that for a spray booth . I spent $ 150.00 on the paint , Centari DuPont single stage , 5 coats of Dodge Viper Racing Yellow . $ 80.00 on a gallon of HI-Solids primer , lots of 600 grit sand paper for the wet sanding right before the paint . About a $ 150.00 for misc stuff , you need a good tack cloth , degreaser/cleaner , rags and masking tape and masking paper . I had to rent the compressor for a week , $ 90.00 .And about 60 bucks worth of Budweiser [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. My buddy has painted quite a few cars so he was a big help and did most of the spraying , I was prep boy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . It was a great learning experience and I was amazed at what a backyard job can come out like . The pic below doesn`t do it justice , the Jeep looks like it was dipped in liquid plastic . Really nice . In the next few weeks I`ll do the final wet sand with 1000 and then 1500 and then polish with my polisher . I wanted the paint to have a long time to cure . One thing about bright yellow , you are noticed every where . This CJ of mine is a freakin` chick magnet ! I pull in for gas or to the store and almost guaranteed someone will say " Wow, thats a nice Jeep ." Mostly women though . Or maybe it`s me [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] , ya right .
Anyways , give it a shot and the secret is good prep and a really decent wet sand BEFORE paint application . If ya need any inspiration , feel free to give me a shout . Good Luck !

Jeff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:01 PM

What's wrong with the white Keith? I like it that way. Actually there are not that many white jeeps out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

You know how it is, I really don't need anything for the jeep, but love working on it. The paint on the front clip has seen better days. This jeep is definitely a 100 footer. It looks good 100' away, but come any closer and it looks like crap. Who knows, maybe i'll just spray it white. But it will be spayed some color haha.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:41 PM

My CJ is that maroon/brown color that CJs came in. My will be painted once I get the tub and what not put back on the frame and am still trying to decide what color myself. My options are John Deere green, repaint it maroon, silver, and tan. I guess I'll know the day before I paint it. Heres a few links to my CJ.
" target="_blank">http://www.fototime.com/{9C3DB7C5-736D-4F25-A3C5-7A818581A26C}/picture.JPG[/url]
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.fototime.com/{958A73AE-2DE4-41AD-A461-2B856C9FE516}/picture.JPG>http://www.fototime.com/{958A73AE-2DE4-41AD-A461-2B856C9FE516}/picture.JPG</a>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 12:11 AM
Official Historian

Fixed the first one.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.fototime.com/{9C3DB7C5-736D-4F25-A3C5-7A818581A26C}/picture.JPG>http://www.fototime.com/{9C3DB7C5-736D-4F25-A3C5-7A818581A26C}/picture.JPG</a>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 01:03 PM

Yellow and burgundy would look great together.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 01:24 PM

I dunno about anyone else, but I think they yellow Jeep thing is starting to get overdone.
TJ's come from the factory yellow.

Albeit Jeep-Zilla your right, it does look like you hot-coatd yours with plastic and it looks sharp.. but unless your going to get the same gloss finish zilla did I'd think of something other then straight yellow.

H8 did a good one with the red accents..
I dunno maybe it's just me..
I like my factory Sahara green..
if I were to re-paint, and I wanted something that looked bad-[censored], I'd probably dosomething with yellow accents..

Blue needs to have chrome..
Red - personally - I don't like but there are alot of guys who swear by a red-rig.
Yellow&amp;black.. overdone unless its going to look like a glass finish.

If I were going for something that would be taking alot of trail punishment and needed to be easily re-painted.

Urban Camo, that black, grey, white, blue one. touchups would be a breeze
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Being that you scrap your jeep up a lot you might consider doing a camo paint job it's real easy to touch it up after new scrapes.
And I think that you will like the Durabake I just Herculined my tub and I really like it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

I see alot of zebra strip, but has anyone painted their jeep like a cow? haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode