Brakes are tweaking BADLY! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Brakes are tweaking BADLY!

Ever since I went wheeling last weekend, my brakes have seemed to be tweaking quite hard. It only does it when I first start driving my Jeep. They're VERY touchy and the rears lock up with barely any pressure applied. I almost bit the dust a few minutes ago following somebody and they braked suddenly. I put my brakes on and locked the rear end up. What could be causing this? I know something's always been messed up because my rears would lock up before the fronts. But this is rediculous!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 06:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Brakes are tweaking BADLY!

I would start by taking the tires off and inspecting them visually. If everything is good, then procede to readjust them properly. That should do the trick
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

When you say readjust them, what exactly do you mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JG96,

Often, rear drum brake lock up is cause by contamination of the friction surfaces. Either grease on the shoes, brake fluid distorting the drum, etc. It could also be a master cylinder problem, but thats pretty unlikely. If the front brake master cylinder piston seal were leaking, then you would be getting more pressure to the rear, causeing it to lock up....but I wouldnt worry about that for now. Try replacing the rear shoes...they are pretty cheap. Have the drums turned, or better yet, replace them. Again, It cant hurt,and they shouldnt be too expensive. Also be sure the primary shoe is in its peoper location...and that R and L shoes arent mixed up, if they are different on your axle. Sorry, but thats all that comes to mind right now...friction is our friend, but too much or too little results in an insurance claim!!

-remy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I could completely understand the contamination theory. I went through some THICK mud. I pulled the drums off my rear and it had quite a bit of mud in there. So I cleaned it out. The shoes look like they're in good shape. And the drum is only 2 months old. This theory would make sense why it was locking up VERY easily. But it doesn't explain why my fronts aren't working. Not sure if you read my most recent post, but I stated that I adjusted the rear shoes so it look a lot of pedal to get them to contact the drum. Well, when I drove it like this, I'd push the pedal ALL the way down and the rears would lock up. Normally, with the rears adjusted all the way in, the fronts would be first to lock up. So this makes me think the fronts aren't working, or are barely working. So I'm going to pop the tires off the front and see what's up. Any ideas on what could be causing that?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmmm.....

Ok....if you're having that problem....It could be what I said about the master cylinder. A leak inside of it could cause this....but I still dont suspect it at this point.

Certain brake pads just dont work well...much less when they get contaminated...I had a set of the best brake pads sold at the local auto parts store (name withheld) and they WOULD NOT STOP MY RAM. Alec78CJ as my withness. They would gradually slow it to a stop. I only bought them because the clip on the back of my Performance Friction brake pad broke on installation and I NEEDED to drive the truck, so I took what I could get. if your pedal isnt rock hard...then your calipers are either working, or not working and have air in the lines. I would bleed them...it doesnt cost anything and might fix your problem. Is it possible that you got air in the master cylinder somewhere along the line? I would bleed the brakes...its virtually free, and certainly cant hurt. If that doesnt help...then I would suspect the master cylinder. Thats All I can tell you at this point...maybe someone else can shed some other light on this!

Do let me know what you find!
-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode