My valve cover is smokin - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My valve cover is smokin

I was under the hood today checking up on things and I pulled off the pcv valve up front on the 258 and there was smoke coming from the hole that the valve plugs into. It's probably blow by. There is also oil(probably from blow by fumes) on the other end of the valves hose which connects to the base of the weber carb. Obviously this must be getting into the carb as well. In my mind this is bad. There is also a really thick puddle of oil resting on the bottom of the air cleaner housing that is caused by the rear hose coming off the valve cover that has the same problem. Anything I can do to "fix" this problem? I would like to get this engine to run at least throughout the summer as I will hopefully soon be replacing it with a 360.
Thanks a lot
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: My valve cover is smokin?

all 3 cars i have ever had all did that..including my jeep.....(the smoke that is)..so im pretty sure thats just normal from the oil heating up

blow by (oil in air filter area) is common and is next to impossible to get rid of.....
i reduced the blow by when i bought an aftermarket valve cover that had better baffing (westsidee performance brand)

other than that you might be able to rig some sort of collector..but i dont know anything about that
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks greg. I'm not sure that this is a normal problem because the smokes eventually accumulates into oil and is getting into my carb, therefore mostlikely reaching the pistons, therefore causing combustion problems and so on, from the carb to the exhaust. but like you said, there is hardly anything to do about this problem unless I wanna waste my time and money rebuilding the whole engine when I can spend the same amount buying a new one. Thanks anyway
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone else?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

blow by is from worn out rings. and the oil is the same thing.. you might have worn valve guids.
a rering kit might be worth it. they are like 40$ all you do is take the bottem end appart and the heads off and replace the rings. might as well do the bearings while y9our at it.
that will restor it to neer factory compression again and all your "blow bye" will be gone.
what you can do is just take the hose from you vaqlve cover and either rout it down ward and it'll dump on the gound. " bad idea" or but a cheep filter on it. and then just plug the inlet to your air cleener. that is what i did. my pcv valve went to an old antifreez jug and then i plugged the inlet. worked great. just make sure you vent the juge. that should take care of it for now.
iAMDking.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 09:05 PM

heh, tim, according to some "experts" who I belive never re-posted here after everyone here gave them hell...

Cheap qucik fixes are useless and the only method of correction is to tow your jeep down to a reputable Jeep service mechanic and have him fix it.

Unfortunately I wouldn't vouch for the credibility of said person because it was the same "expert" that claimed any body dammage should once again be repaired by a reputable body shop.

As for the real answer.
I think we all get it and just deal with it.
Doesn't provide any problems for me so far.
(Knocks on wood)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 10:11 PM

Hahahahaha, TINY. I remember him and the 'discussions' that he caused.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 01:28 AM
Veteran

mine's smokin too. i have this aftermarket chrome valve cover that the last owner thought looked cool, but it has these little holes in the center with rubber plugs and i'm getting oil squirting out of them. no clues, i was just gonna get a better valve cover that didn't have as many holes and better baffles. also when i pulled the pcv hose i noticed that there was no vacuum, the hose is clear, the valve works, there is just no vacuum from the port on the carb, this ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode